5 ways to protect your lips for the perfect pout this winter
Paddy McGurgan is one of NI's best-known beauty experts and over the coming weeks he'll tell you all you need to know about the latest make-up techniques
Cold weather can play havoc with our skin and the dual impact of plummeting temperatures outside and central heating cranked up indoors can leave lips dry, chapped and sore.
But before you reach for the lip balm to soothe, hydrate and protect your lips, here are a few of my all-time hero products to help fight the bitter chill.
- Carmex Lip Balm Moisture Tube, £1.79, Superdrug, Boots, supermarkets and chemists
Carmex's unique formula soothes, moisturises and relieves, resulting in soft, healthy-looking lips. Simply slick on for a moisture boost to bring relief to dry, cracked lips. With added protection in the form of a SPF15 sunscreen. Carmex lip balm is available in pots and sticks. It's one of my top drugstore buys.
- Kiehl's Lip Balm #1, Mango, £9.50, Kiehl's
This lip balm is packed with SPF4 sun protection as well as hydrating chapped lips. This little balm can help protect lips from the drying effects of wind and cold.
- Eve Lom KissMix, £16, SpaceNK
Mix it up with the coveted Eve Lom Kiss Mix. The beautifully chic little pot is filled with a luxurious blend of active extracts - this moisturising, protective and cooling lip treatment has it all. Use under lipstick as a moisturising base, on its own for a softening pearlized sheen or over lip-colour for a slick of protective shine. Expect moisturised, soft and hydrated lips from a product that also defends against dryness and chapping. It also cools, refreshes and comforts too.
- Popcorn Scrub, £5.95. Lush
This sweet and salty lip scrub is one scrumptious way to polish your pout. Exfoliate your lips with its blend of caster sugar, fine sea salt and corn meal while jojoba oil and extra virgin coconut oil replenish moisture. It's too delicious for words.
- Lip Quench, £8, Balance Me
Treat dry, chapped lips to the benefits of Balance Me's Lip Quench Balm. Enriched with a nourishing blend of organic Shea, Cocoa and mango butters, the 100% natural balm softens, regenerates and protects, while delivering a refreshing fragrance of spearmint oil. Lips are left soothed and hydrated with a plumper appearance and non-sticky finish.
- Lip Balm, £6.95, Dr Paw Paw
Go au naturel with Dr Paw Paw lip balm which contains a variety of nourishing ingredients including paw paw which, blended together, create a multi-purpose formula for you to carry around at all times in a 25ml tube.
Top tips for the perfect pout
1. Gently use a toothbrush to exfoliate the lips and remove dead skin cells.
2. Stop licking your lips. Saliva contains digestive enzymes that break down the lipid barrier and further aggravate dryness, leading to soreness and inflammation.
3. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration may also cause lip chapping.
4. Avoid salty, hot and spicy foods as they can irritate your lips and may make chapping worse for some. You may want to limit or avoid these foods when you have chapped lips.
5. Wear something over your face. Covering up the bottom half of your face will help to prevent moisture loss and chapping.