Facial detox: Top tips for perking up party skin
Paddy McGurgan is one of NI's best-known beauty experts and over the coming weeks he'll tell you all you need to know about the latest make-up techniques
Post party season skin probably requires some TLC.
Having well and truly over-indulged at Christmas with the festive feast, tempting chocolates and toasted the New Year with a glass of something sparkling don't expect your skin to look its radiant best. January packs a double whammy of parties and plummeting temperatures so now it's time to treat your complexion.
So, it's out with the old, and in with the new and my recommendations for detox masks. Start 2018 with a clean slate by choosing the right mask which will remove all traces of party-tired skin, leaving it feeling rejuvenated and cleansed thoroughly.
Whether it's dead skin cells, whiteheads, blackheads, open pores or break-outs and blemishes - this is your go-to for fresh looking skin.
1. Caudalie Detox Mask, £27.50, Make Up Pro Store
This mask works by purifying stressed city-dwellers' skin, treating all forms of free radical damage. Its 99.3% natural clay formula draws away impurities and toxins, leaving your skin texture refined, while pores are tightened for an even finish. Just beautiful.
2. L'Oreal Paris Pure Clay Detox Face Mask, £5.99, Boots
For the first time, the L'Oréal Paris laboratories have selected three pure clays and combined them with charcoal which acts like a magnet to draw out impurities. Meanwhile, the creamy texture detoxifies the skin's surface by cleansing deep into the pores, leaving the skin looking clarified and beautified without drying it out.
3. MALIN + GOETZ- Detox Face Mask, £32, malinandgoetz.co.uk
A five-minute purifying mask which is designed to deeply cleanse without causing dryness.
Clarifying your skin doesn't have to involve heavy, drying ingredients or harsh chemicals, as proved by the Malin + Goetz Detox Face Mask. Instead, a lightweight foaming gel uses innovative oxygenating ingredients to deep clean your pores without causing irritation.
Its gentle but effective formula works to draw dirt and impurities out of the skin, whilst balancing the cleansing action by creating a physical barrier over the face to seal in hydration.
4. Bobbi Brown Instant Detox mask, £34, House of Fraser
This mask removes impurities, pollutants and excess oil from pores without stripping skin, leaving it looking healthier, clearer and more refined.
A unique blend of Hawaiian sea water and mineral rich Amazonian white clay work together to extract toxins and impurities and reduce the appearance of pore size. Combined with the detoxifying powers of sea salt and sea water, the powerful clay based formula removes pore clogging debris and excess oil from skin, while simultaneously nourishing and never over-stripping.
Top tips for perking up party skin
1. Drink water. This is the most amazing thing for your skin. Water helps the hydration levels on the skin, helping it to appear more glowing and youthful.
2. Choose Vitamin C. Opt for a lunch time snack, which contains bell peppers, strawberries, cherries or kiwi and are all rich in vitamin C. This is a super active anti-oxidant which will help rid the toxins and impurities in the skin.
3. Eggs. If you found yourself delicate after Christmas, add more eggs into your diet. They are rich in potassium and liver-boosting amino acids which help deflect the aftermath of hangovers.
4. Turn the air-conditioning off. If you have air-conditioning in work or at home try to avoid or, at least, reduce your exposure to it as this can dry the skin out, leaving it dehydrated and lack lustre.
5. Add a moisture-boosting serum to your skincare regime. This will act as an accelerator to your existing skincare lotions and potions and amp up hydration.