This week welcomes students back to university and college and with this, the inevitable bashing of student loans. Instead of spending a tonne of money on make-up that you don't really need, I always recommend investing in complexion products, as I believe these are the most essential items in any beauty routine.
Here are some bits and pieces worth spending your money on...
To keep the skin glowing all day, I tend to use an illuminating primer. This will create a barrier on the skin, protecting it from potentially harmful properties found in make-up, so not to clog pores, leaving a beautiful base. For this, I recommend using Make up Studio's Shimmer Effect in Bronze (£17.50).
I often use Urban Decay's Naked Skin Concealer (£20) in the shade 'fair' and I simply adore the tone and texture of this product. It is so lightweight, meaning it doesn't add to or seep into fine lines or bags underneath the eye. For a smoother blend and finish, use a soft fluffy eyeshadow brush - this will allow the product to blend and absorb into the skin quickly and evenly. Perfect for a student in a rush.
One foundation to definitely try is Illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation (£33). I love having this product in my kit, especially when I have a client in who has dry skin as it leaves a fresh, dewy complexion.
This is a gel based foundation which contains vitamins E and A, and allows your skin to actually look like real skin! The coverage is build-able, and it is such a versatile product to have for any client. It comes in a good variety of shades, so you will definitely find something that works with your own tone.
Barry M's Ready, Set, Smooth Loose Powder (£5.99) is the perfect solution for setting your makeup. With anti-shine, oil absorbing ingredients, the translucent powder works to mattify the skin and create a flawless, light-weight finish. I suggest applying over foundation for a smooth, brightened complexion with a soft-focus effect.
When using eyebrow products on my clients, I always use powder because I find it gives me more control of the depth and sharpness of the brow. One secret of achieving the perfect defined brow is using a gel like the NARS Brow gel (£19). This is a glossy, easy gliding gel that tames and grooms eyebrows to keep them in place all day long, even through those taxing hours in the library.
Most students nowadays opt for a strong defined brow. To achieve this, I recommend using Charlotte Tilbury's Eyebrow Pencil (£22.50). These pencils come in a range shades to accommodate a variety of people and there is a groomer on the other side to trim and create the perfect brow.
While mascara is often overlooked as a menial task, it's actually one of the make or break products in all beauty routines. A few coats of mascara can change your standard, day-time look into a striking, night-time look. One of my favourite to use is Bobbi Brown's Mascara (£25). The applicator is super flexible to tease and curl the lashes at the same time, leaving a natural but fuller looking lash!
1. Always use a primer. Always. I really can never stress this enough. When deciding which aspects of your make-up routine to invest in, choose your primer. Get a primer specific to your skin type as this has so many benefits. Some can make your skin look more flawless by adding hydration or light while others can mattify areas you need to. A good primer creates a second skin for your make-up to attach to, leaving a naturally-airbrushed finish that lasts longer. That is a biggie in my view!
2. When choosing a powder, ensure to choose a finely-milled loose powder with little or no talc, so you don't face the issue of powder catching in dry areas of the skin and creating a patchy finish,
3. Want your lip to last longer without the hassle of a drying matte lipstick? After applying any lipstick, simply separate a tissue and place it over your lips. With a large powder brush lightly pat a little bit of translucent loose powder on to achieve a matte, long-lasting lip colour.
4. Make-up setting sprays are specifically designed to prevent make-up meltdown, so you hardly have to touch it up day to night.
5. Water! This is the most amazing thing for your skin. Water helps maintain healthy hydration levels in the skin, which will give you a fresh, glowing complexion.