The main difference between a pressed powder and loose powder is the way that they are packaged. A pressed powder comes in a compact form while a loose powder is usually in a jar or tub.
The main benefit with using a pressed powder is that, along with your existing translucent powder, it will add coverage to the skin.
A pressed powder is perfect for anyone on the go who wants quick touch-ups. Pressed powders provide a higher level of coverage than a loose powder.
So, here are my all-time favourite pressed powders - and why.
Illamasqua pressed powder, £33, Make-up Pro Store
I adore using this pressed powder on clients as it is so finely milled. I love adding coverage to any of my clients who prefer a full make-up look but still like their skin to appear flawless and effortless. Illamasqua's finely milled pressed powder feels soft and silky to the touch and fixes make-up in place, creating a velvet-smooth and shine-free finish that lasts all day.
Bourjois air mat pressed powder, £8.99, Boots
This powder creates an airbrushed complexion. The product is as light as air and that blends seamlessly with skin for an undetectable finish. I love the matt formula which controls any unwanted shine and lasts for up to 14 hours. It adds a beautiful, natural coverage and my clients love it.
NYX Professional Make-up high definition finish setting powder, £9, Boots
This lightweight translucent finishing powder helps soften the appearance of fine lines and pores. The product has a silky texture and gives a fresh, matt finish. Simply apply in areas you want to mattify - you'll love the results.
Benefit Hello Flawless pressed powder, £29, Benefit at Debenhams
This silky powder cover-up glides on to give a naturally sheer coverage. It layers beautifully for customised coverage and also has SPF protection. The powder comes complete with a brush and sponge for ease of application. This is a beautiful product to use but I advise when applying to use small amounts on your brush/sponge as the powder is super-pigmented and so it takes very little product to achieve your look.
Make-Up Forever Pro Finish pressed powder, £27.50
With its transforming texture, Pro Finish is the first multi-use powder foundation that allows you to fully customise your finish and coverage level. This product is formulated with exclusive biomimetic coated pigments and it can be used wet or dry. You can apply it wet if you want a sheer semi-matt look, or dry for a full coverage matt result. Its lightweight talc formula offers a texture that's long lasting and blends easily. And it evens out the complexion without drying out the skin.
1. Do not pick your shade based on the look of the product. The only way to make sure it is the product, shade and tone for you is by trying it out.
2. If you're using a powder foundation use a large, full brush to evenly distribute the product over your face for an even finish. Use light sweeping motions, and then gently buff the product in.
3. If you use pressed powder to counteract shine throughout the day, think about investing in blotting paper. Using this before your midday powder top-up will make your powder last longer and allow the skin to look as matt as possible.
4. If you have dry skin, always ensure that you have properly moisturised and primed your skin so that the powder does not catch in dry/flaky areas.
5. When choosing your pressed powder colour, try to opt for a colour as close to your own natural skin tone. Try not to go too light as may make the skin appear gaunt in comparison to your body.