Combination and oily skin are very common skin types, and I have so many clients that find it difficult to keep their make-up lasting throughout the day. The best way to achieve an all-day make-up look is by using a range of products that will not only mattify the area they are applied to, but have amazing staying power as well.
Here are my favourite products to use to achieve a matte appearance that will last all day.
It's a common misconception that people with oily skin shouldn't use a moisturiser before applying make-up - in actual fact, there are many options available that will leave a smooth base, ready for make-up application. I would recommend the Liz Earle Skin Repair Light Moisturiser (£22) which contains borage and avocado oil, echinacea, beta-carotene and naturally sourced vitamin E (which works as an antioxidant). These naturally active ingredients replace lost moisture and allows the skin to look and feel fresh and healthy.
Achieve a flawless, visibly smoother complexion with the Matte Veil Primer from Illamasqua (£34, Make Up Pro Store). The lightweight cream-gel formula blends effortlessly into the skin to absorb excess oil whilst maintaining the skin's natural moisture, preventing dryness and providing a silky matte finish - all that in one small tub.
This product will enhance the longevity of your make-up whilst controlling oil levels throughout the day. Use sparingly, as a little really does go a long way.
Try the L'Oreal Paris Infallible 24 hour Freshwear Foundation (£10.99) for a weightless, but full coverage, no compromise base. As the name suggests, the long-wear formula lasts up to 24 hours which is ideal for even the busiest of people who have no time for a top-up.
This product is described as 'transfer-proof, life-proof, party-proof and waterproof' making it perfect for any occasion or activity. The ultra-stretchable gel formula means less product for full application, which in turn means you get more product for your money.
Try Laura Mercier's Loose Setting Powder (£30) and it won't be long until it becomes your go-to powder product. Described as the 'best in beauty', professional make-up artists love the extremely smooth application which blends effortlessly and evenly while providing long-lasting wear.
The formula allows you to set make-up for 12 hours without adding any texture or weight. Although this powder is oil-free, it will not appear 'cakey' or dry on the skin.
Setting sprays are essential for all-day make-up looks. I suggest trying NYX Make Up Setting Spray in Matte Finish (£7) to ensure that your make-up stays put. This product has a lightweight formula which provides a stunning and shine-free finish - the perfect finishing touch for all matte make-up looks.
For a highly-pigmented, matte lip, I recommend the Make Up For Ever Artist Rogue Matte Lipstick (£18.50) which comes in a variety of shades, from subtle nudes to bold reds. This high-precision product glides on easily, providing strong coverage in just a single stroke - and a spectacular 10-hour wear.
1. Always set your make-up - this is an important step as this will ensure all-day wear. Only re-apply in areas that shine appears.
2. Setting sprays are specifically designed to prevent make-up meltdown, so you hardly have to touch it up day to night.
3. Always use a skin-specific primer. If you have a primer and you don't see or feel a difference, it does not suit your skin. Whether it be colour correcting, smoothing, mattifying, adding shine, hydration, if you have the right primer, you will know!
4. Using blotting sheets throughout the day can minimise oils sitting on top of the skin and the visibility of an oily/combination appearance.
5. Always carry your lipstick with you. Eating, drinking and talking are enough to put any matte lip to the test, so be prepared for potential top-ups.