Make-up masterclass: 5 step guide to applying highlighter
Paddy McGurgan is one of the best-known beauty experts in Northern Ireland and he reveals all that you need to know about the latest make-up techniques
Thanks to the strobing trend everyone can have their moment to shine. Here's Paddy's guide to applying highlighter.
1. Choose a highlighter that is not too pale for your skin tone. It needs to blend in with your natural colouring yet also create a subtle touch of glow to the skin when the light catches it. Think more Kylie Jenner, less the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz
2. Cream formulations are ideal for mature or dry skin. This will create a more subtle glow while not drawing attention to fine lines.
3. If you love your glow, spray a highlighter brush with a fixing spray or even Mario Badescu Roswater before applying highlighter. This will intensify the impact of the product and prime for a lasting finish.
4. Choose a brush carefully and apply in a light-handed manner for a soft-focus effect.
5. Highlighter can double up as a light shimmer eye-shadow. Apply to the lid for a subtle day-time look.
While using highlighter is not new, much like contouring, strobing is the subtle use of products, in this case light-reflecting creams, liquids and powders, to create an illuminated glow. So, with just a dab of highlighter to cheeks, brow bones and temples, you can instantly accentuate your look. Here are some of the best around.
- Champagne Halo, Make up Studio, £23.50
This powder highlighter also acts as a shimmer eye-shadow. Expect a rose gold shimmer from Champagne which is richly pigmented so you really get more for your money. Just the smallest amount will elevate your look. Apply with a small fan brush just above the cheekbone for a natural pop of highlight.
- Topshop Limited Edition Highlighter, Afterglow, £12
This best-selling silky powder highlighter oozes style in pared-back gold packaging. Use this shimmering gold product to add lightness and radiance to the face and body, making it perfect for party season.
- Base Eclat, Make Up Atelier, £18.50
Liquid highlighters are ideal for adding to cheekbones and foreheads to create a dewy, luminous and fresh complexion. This formulation enables you to create glowing radiant skin thanks to light-enhancing pigments which reflect light off the surface of the skin. Apply before foundation for a subtle effect, or afterwards for a more noticeable light-reflecting sheen.
- NYX Born to Glow, £8.99
Capture that sexy glow with NYX's lightweight multi-functional illuminator. This hardworking product can be used as a foundation base or over cheekbones, decolletage or cupid's bow for that refreshing luminosity that'll have everyone talking. Be warned, though, this has a deep bronzed tone so fair-skinned lovelies should use sparsely or opt for a paler shade.
- Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter, Aurora, £25
Gleam has a lightweight, iridescent cream texture and is the ideal go-to for easy, instant highlighting. The sheer, pearlescent pigments contain skin boosting vitamin E and mica mineral, which provides the translucent silky quality of this cream compact. Expect an alluring, natural glow that lifts and highlights both face and body.
- Barry M Illuminating Strobing Cream, Iced Bronze, £4.49
Conquer the strobing trend in one sweep with this well-priced beauty buy. These Illuminating Strobing Creams are an all-in-one highlighting product. Sweep softly on the skin for a dewy glow, or layered for the must-have strobing look. With its convenient shape and creamy consistency, applying and blending are a breeze which builds beautifully onto the skin.