Make-up masterclass: 5 tips for the perfect statement lip
Paddy McGurgan is one of NI's best-known beauty experts and each week he tells us all we need to know about the latest make-up techniques and trends
I am a massive fan of a bold statement lip. Strong lips enhance any make-up look, but if you are not so keen on eye make-up, they add drama to the face, freeing you to leave your eyes drama-free. Here are a few of my favourite bold and statement lip colours to pick up this season.
For a red statement lip, I just cannot stay away from Limecrime Red Velvet (£14.95, Make Up Pro Store). This has such a smooth texture and is the most pigmented lip product I have ever used. It is a matte liquid lipstick, so it dries almost instantly onto the lips and creates a strong and pigmented wash of colour that lasts all day. A handbag must-have.
For a drugstore-red lip colour, opt for matte for long-lasting staying power, making sure your lip colour stays put all evening. Try Maybelline Color Sensational in Rebel Red (£7.99) for a matte lip colour that wont wear off - or kiss off. This creamy formula glides on smoothly, and its flexible, slanted-tip applicator with ultra-soft bristles makes it easy to shape your lips.
If you are a red-lip lover but want a creamy finish, then I recommend using MAC Cosmetics Lipstick in Russian Red (£16.50). This is a creamy lipstick with a bold and strong pigment that is perfect for a night out.
A prune or maroon-toned lip will just scream autumn, and I have a few recommendations. For a matte liquid lipstick that will last all day, I have one go-to hero product - Make Up Atelier Paris Lip Duo in RW Prune (£22). I first used this product at a fashion show in Dublin, and any models who wore it needed no touch-ups for the entire night because it is so long-wearing. It's a beautiful product to apply to the lips. The applicator is shaped perfectly for a lip shape and it mixes amazingly with other liquid lipsticks to create your own deepened berry shades.
If you would like a creamy and less matte prune lip product this autumn, try NYX Cosmetics Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick (£7) in shade Vintage. The liquid suede cream lipstick glides on and sets into a striking matte finish. Velvety soft and waterproof, this long-lasting lippie creates a positively polished look with every swipe.
Nothing says night time party glamour like a very berry lip colour. To create a statement lip look, use Shiseido Perfect Rouge Lipstick (£23) in shade Salon. I adore this colour for nigh because it is such a flattering colour for any skin tone. Add a black lip colour to create a super vampy lip to finish a bare or pared-back look.
This is down to personal preference, and I do not really expect everyone to be doing their weekly shop wearing this - however, I am seeing a growing trend of requests for this style. Use Barry M Lip Paint Black (£4.99, Superdrug) for a very extra look.
I am loving using deep lip colours, such as lipsticks, as a base on my client's lips, but placing a tinted lip paint over the top. I just love the finish of a gloss as it adds a softness even to a strong lip colour make-up. To create a gloss finish to incorporate a dark but glam look, I choose the super-hydrating and glossier effect Make up Studio Taupe Passion Lip Paint (£16.50).
5 tips for the perfect statement lip
1. Using a tooth brush, exfoliate the lips - this will make a smoother application for your lipstick to attach to.
2. Apply a lip balm while you complete your make-up. This will moisturise the lips and leave them in the perfect condition for application, then blot off before you apply your lip liner to avoid any product bleeding.
3. For those who find that red lipstick bleeds around the lips, massage in a little Super Matte Antishine (£13.25). This is a mattifying primer product that's normally intended for use on the face, but it's perfect to ensure your lip colour does not bleed or feather.
4. Use a lip liner to create your perfect lip outline. Blend the edges towards the centre of the lip slightly, and pinch the corners and edges for an easier blend.
5. For longevity, a matte lipstick will always be best, but if you suffer from dry lips, use a cream lipstick, blot off and reapply for extra longevity.