Make-up masterclass: five illuminating tips for achieving a J-Lo glow
Paddy McGurgan is one of NI's best-known beauty experts and each week he tells us all we need to know about the latest make-up techniques and trends
Summer is here - well, nearly! Regardless, we are loving the warmer weather at the moment. At this time of the year, so many of my clients ask me how they can add illumination and glow to their skin.
Here are my all-time favourite products to ensure you are glowing to perfection this summer.
We're obsessing over liquid illuminators this summer! Benefit's Sun Beam (£22) is a golden bronze highlighter that will give you a natural, sun-kissed radiance. Dot and blend over make-up on cheeks and brow bones for a bronzed glow. This product will complement all skin tones and can be worn alone or with make-up.
For a powder highlighter, try Illamasqua's Beyond Powder in EPIC (£34). This will deliver a healthy warmth to the skin. It has a majestic, bronzed hue and the silky powder glides effortlessly over skin and can be used to create an all-over illuminated finish or applied to specific areas for a precise look. Apply dry for a sheer shimmer or with a wet brush for a dramatic glow.
Rimmel's Lasting Radiance Foundation (£9.99) instantly reawakens the skin with a healthy radiance and will minimise the effects of pollution - perfect for those who live in busy cities. The inclusion of peptides increase elasticity so skin recovers and bounces back more quickly. This product also has the added benefit of a sun protection factor of 25, leaving your skin radiant and safe.
You may not be familiar with illuminator gels, but they are ideal for a lightweight, natural glow. Try A Bit Jelly Gel Illuminator by NYX (£12) - the water-based formula feels and looks fantastic on the skin. Just pat onto your face or body with your fingers. It smooths onto the skin effortlessly, leaving a wash of radiance that glistens even after it has dried.
For a cream highlighter, the Nars Cosmetics Multiple Sticks (£29) are cult classics. This multi-purpose product can be used on the cheeks, eyes, lips and body and will provide a glowing complexion to all skin tones. Better yet, the sticks are enriched with vitamin E and açaí oil which offer hydration, protection and antioxidant benefits.
If you love body highlights, then you need to try Huda Beauty's All Over Body Highlight in the shade N.Y.M.P.H (£40). This illuminator can be used on the face and body, and is designed to make you look radiant.
This product promises a flawlessly smooth bronze finish without streaks or harsh lines - perfect for summer dress weather. The water-based formula melts into the skin, blurring imperfections and leaving you with a sun-kissed shimmer that is water and transfer resistant.
Five top tips for illuminated skin
1. An illuminator's main function is to demand light to hit an area of the face, so be savvy where you place your product. If you have any blemishes or texture you would rather not highlight, then be wary to not place product there, as the illuminator will simply enhance this.
2. Always be conscious of the colour of the product and match it to your skin as best you can. The right match should disappear into your base and skin, leaving only a hint of luminosity when it catches the light.
3. Only apply the liquid illuminator on the high points of the face, as this is where light will hit the face, so as you move the light will naturally hit the skin.
4. An illuminator is not a foundation, covering your entire face with it will only have you mistaken for a Christmas bauble. Only apply on certain areas.
5. If you want an all over golden glow, then add a small amount of your illuminator in with your foundation for a natural dew to the skin.