Make-up masterclass: Five tips for the perfect Valentine's red lip
Paddy McGurgan is one of NI's best-known beauty experts and each week he tells us all we need to know about the latest make-up techniques and trends
One trend that is associated with Valentine's Day is the statement red lip, but what red lip best suits you and what you want to achieve?
Whether it be all-day wear, a glossy finish or a demi matte satin appearance, here is my take on the reds you need this Valentine's Day.
ISADORA Perfect Moisture Lipstick in Summer Red (£12) is a moisturising and creamy lipstick with a super comfortable feel. Infused with a mix of deeply hydrating ingredients to keep the lips soft, smooth and moisturised, the creamy, lightweight formula provides a luminous finish with more than 16 shades to choose from.
I also recommend Smashbox Be Legendary Matte Lipstick in Made It (£17.99), a range of pigment-loaded lipsticks that glide on brilliant colour in one swipe. This is a beautiful combination of colour and pigment with a matte finish for extra-long wear.
Note Cosmetics Rich Color Lipstick in Vintage Sun (£3.95) protects and nourishes lips with argan oil and cocoa butter. Its unique formula provides incredibly rich pigmentation for full coverage in one swipe. Vitamin E protects lips against free radicals and environmental factors. Infused with botanicals, this lipstick is paraben-free, cruelty-free and vegan.
Indulge in a colour-intense lipstick with a highly pigmented formula with Illamasqua Matte Lipstick in Virgin (£20). For a creamy matt finish which is soft on the lips, Illamasqua Lipstick glides on smoothly and doesn't give up without a fight for the perfect all-night pout.
My next treat is Bperfect Cosmetics Born Ready Lip Kit in shade 'Cheeky' (£24.99). Inspired by Irish make-up artist Ellie Kelly, this is a make-up bag must-have this season, leaving lips feeling hydrated, smooth and glossed for any occasion. The lip kit contains a long-lasting lip liner pencil, a satin finish lipstick and a highlighter gold infused-lipgloss, and the 'Cheeky' tone is a sultry bright red coral.
Treat yourself to Make Up Studio Lipstick No.23 (£16.50), a beautiful creamy textured lipstick with the maximum amount of pigment, so a little really will go a long way. This is easy to apply with a long-wearing staying power and is available in more than 50 shades.
MAC Ruby Woo (£17.50) is a creamy rich lipstick formula with high-colour pay-off in a no-shine matte finish. This is one of MAC's all time top sellers, a definite kit essential!
Limecrime Red Velvet Velvetine (£14.95) has a French vanilla-infused formula which glides on as a liquid and dries down to a luxurious, velvety matte finish that lasts for hours. Touch-proof, kiss-proof and utterly addictive.
And finally there's Dior Rouge Dior Lipstick in 999 (£31), which offers great coverage and a choice of a matte or satin finish. To celebrate Valentine's Day, the iconic lipstick from the house of Dior is decorated with Christian Dior's lucky star and romantic hearts.
This flamboyant Rouge Dior, available in three highly desirable shades, is housed in an elegant metallic couture case. The limited-edition version of the sensual Dior signature is a true fashion and beauty essential.
Five tips for the perfect red lip
1. Using a toothbrush, exfoliate the lips - this will make a smoother base for your lipstick to attach to.
2. Apply a lip balm while you complete your make-up. This will moisturise the lips and leave them in the perfect condition for application, then blot off before you apply your lip liner to avoid any product bleeding.
3. For those who find that red lipstick bleeds around the lips, massage in a little Super Matte Antishine (£17.50) - a mattifying primer product which is normally intended for use on the face but is perfect to ensure your lip colour does not bleed or feather.
4. Use a lip liner to create your perfect lip outline, blend the edges towards the centre of the lip slightly and pinch the corners and edges for an easier blend.
5. For longevity, a matte lipstick will always be best, but if you suffer from dry lips use a cream lipstick, blot off and reapply for extra longevity.