Make-up masterclass: Five top tips for achieving the Coachella look
Paddy McGurgan is one of NI's best-known beauty experts and each week he tells us all we need to know about the latest make-up techniques and trends
It's the week of the famous Coachella Music and Arts Festival and my social media feed has been inundated with pictures of festival style, make-up looks and recreations of these looks.
I adore the creativity of festival make-up and how it plays with daring colours and adds vibrancy to the face. So many celebrities donned beautiful, imaginative looks for Coachella this year and they proved that when it comes to festival looks, all bets are off - you can be as subtle and barely-there as you want or equally as eccentric and over-the-top as you want. I love it.
Here are some of my top tips for creating a Coachella-inspired look for the festival season.
Whether you want to enhance your cheekbones or look like an elegant disco ball, Iconic London's Strobing Sticks (£24.99) are perfect for recreating a fresh-faced look.
Use lightly for a dewy finish or layered for a more dramatic effect, plus they are super fuss-free to apply - no brushes necessary! You can apply a strobing stick to any areas that catch the light - on your cheekbones, along your temples, down the bridge of your nose, below your brow bone, in the corners of your eyes, and above your cupid's bow.
A quick way to add dramatic, festival vibes to your make-up look is through an extended winged liner - and yes, I know those words are enough to strike fear into the hearts of even the most experienced make-up artists. However ladies, the key really is to practice, and of course, an outstandingly sharp liquid liner. There are so many that I love, for example Make up Studio's Black Micro Tip Liquid Liner (£14.50) is a go-to for me, but the one I am really enjoying at the moment is the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner (£16).
While there is no right or wrong way to do this, here are a few tips on how you can achieve an extended winged eyeliner that even Adele would be jealous of.
1. Make sure your eyeliner is jet black, even swatch it on the back of your hand before you begin, this will ensure that you achieve a strong black line when applying to the lid.
2. Using a hand-held mirror, tilt your head back slightly and look down to ensure you can see each part of the eye.
3. Begin at the corner of the eye and flick out. This helps to elongate your line and allows the chance of the flick being sharpened.
If you only want a subtle hint of colour but still want a festival chic look, why not use a coloured mascara? This is a super easy way of adding something interesting and colourful to your look. Try NYX Colour Mascara, which is only £3.
Think beyond the ordinary with these fun and vibrant new mascara options, which are packed full of pigment and certainly deliver on the promise of intense colour pay-off. For an extra effect, try using it as a coloured brow gel.
It just wouldn't be a festival without glitter. One of my favourite glitter brands is Canadian-based brand LIT Cosmetics because of their large range of glitters of different sizes, styles, colours and themes. I love the different variants of tones that can be used for this. I like how the glitters vary from super wearable and versatile to neon and chunky for festival-inspired looks.
My all-time favourite LIT Cosmetics glitters to use for festival looks are Oprah, Champagne Wishes, Modern Love and Joy (£12 each).
For all day wear - when you have minimal time to top up - I would recommend a matte, long-wearing lip colour. This won't wear off as easily as a demi-matte or gloss product would.
Try HUDA Beauty's Liquid Matte Lipstick (£18). This is a non-drying, featherweight, densely-pigmented lip product that leaves a stunning, suedette finish - there's nothing about Huda Beauty's Liquid Mattes that we're not obsessed with. The silky formula applies like a lipgloss but dries in moments - cloaking your pout with a smooth, kiss-resistant veil of vibrant colour that won't smudge, flake or transfer.
Complete your Coachella-inspired make-up look with some face and body embellishments. I love seeing celebrities embracing the boho look with bejewelled forehead accents. Lottie London (available at Superdrug) have a large selection of face gems (£2.99). These are self-adhesive and super easy to apply.
Five tips for a flawless festival make-up look
1. Do not shy away from colour - this is the perfect opportunity to experiment with different shades and tones.
2. If you are using glitters or large pigments, always use an adhesive to ensure your glitter stays put all day.
3. Match your make-up to your hair, whether it be braids or even a small amount of glitter in your hair, this will help create a full, show-stopping festival look.
4. Always use a setting powder and setting spray to ensure you get an all-day wear and are always Instagram-ready. Usually, there is no time for a top-up.
5. There are no rules - just enjoy creating your look.