Purple reign: 12 of the best make-up must-haves for 2018
Katie Wright takes inspiration from Pantone's new colour of the year, enigmatic Ultra Violet
At the beginning of every year, Pantone declares its colour of the year, and we start to wonder how we can incorporate the chosen hue into our beauty routines.
Sometimes, the shade doesn't obviously lend itself to cosmetics, as was the case with last year's foliage-inspired Greenery (unless you're really into lime green lipstick ...) but for 2018, we're in luck, because Ultra Violet is a gorgeous deep purple that offers endless options in the make-up department.
"Complex and contemplative, Ultra Violet suggests the mysteries of the cosmos, the intrigue of what lies ahead, and the discoveries beyond where we are now," say the pros at Pantone.
The "enigmatic purple" was beloved of music icons such as Prince, David Bowie and Jimi Hendrix, so with style renegades like that as inspiration, you can bet that the usual rules don't apply.
This trend's not about identifying what suits your eye or hair colour, it's about having fun and embracing the new hue however you like.
And there are heaps of products to choose from.
Take your pick from our Ultra Violet spectrum and get ready to play with purple ...
1. CND Vinylux Weekly Polish in Video Violet, £6.95, JustMyLook
2. Colour Freedom Mystic Purple Non- Permanent Hair Colour, £6.99, Superdrug
3. Axiology Lipstick in Desire, £25, Alyaka.com
4. Make Up Forever Artist Rouge Creme Lipstick in Dark Purple, £18, Escentual
5. Estee Lauder Pure Colour Envy Lash Mascara in Purple, £25.50, Selfridges
6. Buxom Full-on Lip Cream in Purple Haze, £15, CultBeauty
7. Beauty Boulevard Glitter Lips in Purple Reign, £12.50
8. Deep Purple Nail Polish, £3.99, New Look
9. Crazy Color Semi Permanent Hair Dye in Hot Purple, £4
10. IZ Beauty Gel Effect Nail Lacquer in Glastonberry, £6
11. 3ina The Cream Eyeshadow in Purple 307, £8.95
12. Miracle Lipshine Purple Rose, £13.50, Rituals