Valentine's date night: 5 top tips for the 'I woke up like this' look
Paddy McGurgan is one of NI's best-known beauty experts and over the coming weeks he'll tell you all you need to know about the latest make-up techniques
In the run-up to the most romantic day of the year, we all want that perfect Valentine's Day date and to leave a good first impression of natural beauty.
And unless you are walking the catwalks of Milan or Paris, we do need a list of products to help us along the way to achieve the 'I woke up like this' make-up look.
For your base routine I have to recommend a medium/full coverage foundation with great lasting power and which also looks flawless.
There are so many different products and foundations that will help you achieve this. The one foundation I reach for time and time again, especially for my clients who are going out for the night, is Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation (£33, Make-up Pro Store).
This is a gel-based foundation which has a vast range of shades and tones to accommodate any skin tone. Ask your make-up artist to try out this foundation on you - I am very sure you will not be disappointed.
Keep those brows in line
You would not believe how much time goes into a 'this took me no time at all' natural brow.
A well shaped and defined brow will really enhance your features. Use a sharply angled brush to ensure your brow line is as precise as possible. For this I love using the MAC 263 Small Angle Brush (£16.50, MAC Cosmetics).
To fill in the brow it is so important to make sure the brow filler is the same colour as your brows. Try not to go too dark, or you verge on the sharpie look - try Bobbi Brown's Long Wear Tinted Brow Gel (£18.50), a gel wax that gives a hint of colour along with a light hold that keeps arches looking groomed. The soft formula is super versatile. Take a light-handed approach for a natural finish or build it up for a fuller, bolder brow.
For natural but striking eye make-up, I love working with warm tones. This really complements the eyes and enhances their glamorous look.
For this I recommend trying out NYX Professional Makeup Ultimate Eyeshadow Palette in Warm Neutrals (£16). This is a stunning palette with a beautiful combination of colours to complement a soft brown eye make-up look.
Use your darker shades to build up the definition and drama on your outer corner, to suit your style.
Flash your lashes!
One of the easiest ways to create a striking make-up look is eyelashes. I love how feminine they make the eye appear and how they really do enhance any make-up look.
Even if you decide you would rather go for a minimal eye make-up, you can always dress it up with lashes, liner and a lovely lip colour!
One of my all time favourite lash brands to use on clients is Ardell, as they have so many different styles of lash to suit any client. And for me as a make-up artist I am able to use them whether it be on a formal client or their more subtle style on a mature client. For a fuller lash I love Ardell Wispies (£6.99) as they curl towards the ends which gives a fuller lash effect.
Lip smacking good
What would Valentine's Day be without a statement red lip colour?
Opt for matte for staying power and to make sure your lip colour stays put all evening.
Try Maybelline Color Sensational in Rebel Red (£7.99). This creamy formula glides on smoothly and its flexible, slanted tip applicator with ultra-soft bristles makes it easy to shape your lips.
5 top tips for the 'I woke up like this' look
1. Use a lightweight concealer under the eye and where you have blemishes and pigmentation. This will give you small amounts of natural coverage without looking thick or caked on the skin.
2. For a natural look, opt for peach blushers instead of pink. In the UK we often have signs of redness naturally in our skin, so it is important to add warmth with your blush and not to highlight redness that you would achieve with strong pink and cranberry coloured blushers.
3. For a fluffy, natural brow, use a spoolie brush to comb through your brows, so they look natural and barely touched.
4. If you do not want a dramatic dark eye, use a concealer pencil or a small amount of cream concealer in your bottom waterline to lighten, brighten and open the eye up without a dark smokey effect.
5. Prep is key! If you want kissable lips in time for Valentine's invest in a lip scrub to rid the lips of dead skin cells and the effects of winter that often hit our lips first.