How to find the best festive fragrances for perfumistas
When Chanel and Dior won't cut it, these under the radar perfumes will hit the spot this Christmas
Perfume is a very personal thing and some people prefer to stick to one signature scent at all times. Others change their fragrance on a daily basis, assembling a whole wardrobe of bottles so they can spritz on a different juice whenever the mood takes them.
For these connoisseurs, a new addition to their collection is always a delight, but with encyclopedic knowledge and exacting standards, the latest offering from a major fashion house just won't do.
That's where independent brands come into their own, especially at Christmas if you're looking for a gift to please a self-confessed scent snob - you just need to have a bit of an idea of their perfume preferences.
We've selected the best new releases from a range of indie labels, rounding up the niche scents that will impress even the pickiest perfumista.
1. If she likes... green, woody scents with a tropical flavour
Berdoues Selva Do Brazil Eau De Parfum, £67 for 100ml, Harvey Nichols
2. If she likes... floral fragrances rounded out with amber and musk
Atelier Bloem Nieuw Amsterdam, £160 for 100ml, Liberty
3. If she likes... a cloud of heady, creamy floral notes anchored by a woody base
Initio Psychedelic Love, £190 for 90ml, Harrods
4. If she likes... the oriental spiciness of pepper and bergamot with a smoky frankincense tail
Annick Goutal Nuit et Confidences, £85 for 50ml, John Lewis
5. If she likes... rich white florals with a subtle sweetness
Atelier Cologne Cafe Tuberosa Cologne Absolue, £110 for 100ml, House of Fraser
6. If she likes... rose, bolstered by fruity notes and a hint of spice
Parfums de Marly Delina Exclusif, £175 for 75ml, Selfridges
7. If she likes... oriental scents rounded out with buttery wood and musk accords
Eisenberg Paris Secret IV Rituel D'Orient, around £88 for 30ml, eisenberg.com
8. If she likes... boozy unisex scents that are heavy on the vetiver and woody to the core
Tom Daxon Riven Oak, £155 for 100ml, tomdaxon.com