Quiz of the year: Test your knowledge of 2019
How well can you remember the past year?
1. On which radio station did Chris Evans launch his new breakfast show in January?
2. Who filed a $50m defamation suit against ex-wife Amber Heard?
3. Who performed in North Korea in March as part of an effort to sing in every country in the world?
4. Which Swedish gamer lost the title of having the YouTube account with the most subscribers in 2019?
5. Which former East 17 singer live-streamed his own arrest in March?
6. Which celebrity chef and his wife Tana welcomed their fifth child, Oscar, in April?
Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.
7. Which Desperate Housewives star was involved in an exam-cheating scandal which ended with her being imprisoned for 14 days?
8. Which British singer attended this year’s Met Gala wearing a sheer black Gucci top, high-waisted trousers and a single pearl earring in his right ear?
9. Which British actor married Sabrina Dhowre in Morocco in April?
10. In January, a photo of an egg overtook a post by whom as the most liked post on Instagram?
11. Former Girls Aloud star Nadine Coyle won legions of new fans during her stint on I’m A Celebrity, but who was she voted off with?
12. Eamonn Holmes turned 60 this year — where did wife Ruth Langsford whisk him off to for a surprise birthday trip? And name the famous NI artist who she asked to paint his portrait.
1. Margaret Atwood shared this year’s Booker Prize with which author?
2. A Very Expensive Poison, which debuted at the Old Vic this year, is a play by Lucy Prebble about the murder of which former spy?
3. Which former prime minister published his memoir For The Record in September?
4. In which Suffolk town was an Ed Sheeran walking tour launched in 2019?
5. What type of flower features in Jeff Koons’ 12-metre-high sculpture unveiled in Paris in October to commemorate the 2015 terrorist attacks?
6. Who is the How To Train Your Dragon author who became the new Children’s Laureate in July?
7. The Riba Stirling Prize for architecture was awarded to a residential street in which English city?
8. A proposal to repatriate the remains of which Irish author from Zurich to Dublin was mooted by councillors in October?
9. In which country is Plovdiv, joint European Capital of Culture 2019 along with Matera in Italy?
10. On which West End and Broadway play was the 2019 film Judy, starring Renee Zellweger, based?
11. Name the Northern Ireland poet whose book If All The World And Love Were Young won the Forward Prize for Best First Collection?
12 Carrick-born author Adrian McKinty won a seven-figure movie deal from Paramount for a novel this year. What’s it called?
13. A decade after she became famous thanks to a TV talent show, this singer was the headline act at the BBC’s Proms In The Park at Titanic Slipways in Belfast this year.
14. Which Belfast-born Hollywood actress brought her one-woman show Belfast Blues to the Lyric in the summer of 2019?
1. In which 2019 Marvel film did the Avengers attempt to reverse the damage caused by Thanos in the film Avengers: Infinity War?
2. Who returned to voice Mufasa in Disney’s remake of The Lion King?
3. Ryan Reynolds voiced the title character in which 2019 film, which was based on a video game series?
4. Which 2019 film saw Spider-Man visit Europe on a school trip?
5. Which animated Disney Pixar sequel introduced new character Forky?
6. Released in August, the film Hobbs & Shaw is a spin-off of which action movie franchise?
7. Shallow, the winner of this year’s Oscar for Best Original Song, features in which film?
8. Who played the title role in the 2019 hit film Joker?
9. Which horror sequel saw the return of Pennywise the Dancing Clown?
10. Who directed Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci in The Irishman?
11. Liam Neeson and Lesley Manville star in Ordinary Love about a Belfast couple coping with a cancer diagnosis. Who wrote the script?
1. Which supermarket’s merger with Asda was blocked by the Competition and Markets Authority in April?
2. Who became the first British royals to officially visit Cuba in 2019?
3. Which pop superstar designed a special Blue Peter badge for BBC Music Day 2019?
4. Which world leader was criticised when pictures and footage of him in blackface makeup emerged in September?
5. Which two TV presenters danced continuously for 24 hours to raise money for Comic Relief in March?
6. A commemorative version of which coin was announced in August, to mark Britain’s exit from the EU?
7. When he moved into 10 Downing Street this year, Boris Johnson acquired a Jack Russell-cross puppy named what?
8. Which Liverpool FC footballer was named Uefa Men’s Player of the Year and PFA Player of the Year in 2019?
9. Which high-street department store fell into its lenders’ hands in April, wiping out Mike Ashley’s near-30% stake in the company?
10. How much (to the nearest million) did Moira couple Frances and Patrick Connolly win in the Euromillions in January?
1. Which sitcom inspired a new musical which premiered in the West End in February?
2. Who sang with Camila Cabello on the number one hit Senorita?
3. Which pop icon was the subject of the 2019 musical film Rocketman?
4. Who kicked off the 2019 Brit Awards with a rendition of The Greatest Show?
5. Psychodrama, which won the 2019 Mercury Prize, is the debut album by which rapper?
6. Who played his headlining Glastonbury set wearing a stab-proof vest decorated with a Union jack, designed by Banksy?
7. Which nation won the Eurovision Song Contest 2019, represented by Duncan Laurence?
8. Who topped the album chart in the summer with his No 6 Collaborations Project?
9. Which orchestra announced the appointment of its first female principal guest conductor in 2019?
10. Which Scottish singer scored his first number one single with Someone You Loved?
11. Snow Patrol released their eighth studio album this year — what’s it called?
12. Bruised, Never Broken is the title of the memoir published this year by which famous Derry songwriter?
1. What happened in Belfast on December 18 for the first time in over 100 years?
2. Name the five new MPs returned in this month’s election, and who did they replace?
3. Ian Paisley suggested Northern Ireland should “put it right back in their face” — who and what was he talking about?
4. What did Sammy Wilson suggest Boris Johnson could do to win back the “trust” of unionists?
5. What connects the three senior police officers Stephen Martin, Mark Hamilton and Jon Boutcher?
6. Which Parisian landmark was engulfed by a major fire in April?
7. In which month of 2019 was the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor born?
8. Who did Boris Johnson defeat in the Conservative leadership contest in July?
9. $22m in emergency funding was pledged by the G7 to tackle which South American crisis in August?
10. Which travel firm went bankrupt in September, leaving 600,000 tourists stranded worldwide?
1. In which sitcom did the late Windsor Davies play Battery Sergeant Major Williams?
2. What was the name of England’s 1966 World Cup-winning goalkeeper, who died in February?
3. Which electronic dance act was co-founded and fronted by Keith Flint?
4. Internet celebrity Tardar Sauce, whose death was announced on May 17, was better known by what two-word nickname?
5. Which late author and illustrator created the children’s book The Tiger Who Came To Tea?
6. Which American heiress and fashion designer who died in June was the subject of the US “trial of the century” custody battle in the 1930s?
7. In which 1982 film did Dutch actor Rutger Hauer play the ‘replicant’ Roy Batty?
8. Which late American writer won the Pulitzer Prize for her 1987 novel Beloved?
9. Which month of 2019 saw the deaths of former political leaders Robert Mugabe and Jacques Chirac?
10. Ginger Baker, who died in October, was known as the co-founder and drummer of which rock band?
11. Name the Downpatrick-born former captain of the Ireland cricket team and president of the Irish Cricket Union who died this year.
12. Best-known for his collection Belfast Confetti, this NI poet died in October.
13. Nika McGuigan, daughter of boxing legend Barry, died from cancer at the age of 33. What was the RTE series she starred in?
14. This actor-playwright was a founder member of the Lyric Theatre in Belfast and was well-known for his acclaimed one-man shows.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
1. What was the name of the SpaceX craft which achieved successful docking with the International Space Station in March?
2. A film featuring which computer game character has been delayed until 2020 to allow for necessary redesign work on its CGI?
3. By which mode of transport did Greta Thunberg make a carbon-neutral journey from the UK to New York in August?
4. Which series of iPhone was launched by Apple in September?
5. Which Boeing airliner was grounded by authorities around the world in March?
6. Why did astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Koch make history in October?
7. In March, which Chinese smartphone company filed a lawsuit in response to the US government’s ban on the use of its equipment?
8. In October, which US businessman announced the formation of a “national team” to build a Moon lander for a 2024 mission?
9. A study published in the journal Nature traced the human family tree back to a homeland in which modern-day African country?
10. Which tech giant unveiled its Sycamore quantum processor in October?
11. This year marked the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing. Name the astronaut who could trace his ancestry to Co Fermanagh.
1. Which British athlete won three medals at the World Athletics Championships, including gold in the 200 metres?
2. Which nation beat England at the semi-final stage of the 2019 Fifa Women’s World Cup?
3. Which Grand Slam singles title did Rafael Nadal win for the 12th time in 2019?
4. Which country did England beat in the final to win the Cricket World Cup for the first time?
5. At which Northern Ireland venue was golf’s 2019 Open Championship held in July?
6. Which English team did Liverpool beat in the Champions League final in Madrid?
7. Which British city hosted the 2019 Netball World Cup?
8. England rugby players formed which letter shape in facing New Zealand’s haka in the Rugby World Cup semi-final?
9. Who won his first World Snooker Championship at the Crucible in 2019?
10. What nationality is Eliud Kipchoge, who became the first person to run a marathon in less than two hours in Vienna in October?
11. Rory Best retired from club rugby at the end of Ulster’s season in May, but who was his final game against for the province?
12. Which English Championship club did Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill agree to take over at in November?
13. Shane Lowry won The Open back in July, but which English golfer finished second?
14. Despite reaching the semi-finals of the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship, Tyrone did not win the Ulster title. Which county did?
1. Which Killing Eve star was named Best Leading Actress at the 2019 Bafta TV Awards?
2. What happened to the Iron Throne in the final episode of Game Of Thrones?
3. Which actor explored the history of his Right Royal Family on BBC One?
4. Which couple were named the winners of Love Island 2019?
5. Who starred as Anne Lister in the BBC One drama Gentleman Jack?
6. Which Chelsea Pensioner was crowned the winner of Britain’s Got Talent 2019?
7. Which royal couple featured in the ITV documentary An African Journey?
8. In May, which BBC One drama’s final episode was watched by 9.6 million viewers?
9. What profession did Andrew Scott’s character have in the hit show Fleabag?
10. Who won The Great British Bake Off 2019?
11. Which Derry Girls star’s home was destroyed by a blaze after a cube plug went on fire?
12. Which county in Northern Ireland is the BBC Two real-life documentary series Mountain Vets set in?
13. What series about an undercover detective and starring Anna Friel is filmed in Northern Ireland?
Celebrity: 1. Virgin Radio; 2. Johnny Depp; 3. Joss Stone; 4. PewDiePie; 5. Brian Harvey; 6. Gordon Ramsay; 7. Felicity Huffman; 8. Harry Styles; 9. Idris Elba; 10. Kylie Jenner. 11. Caitlyn Jenner 12. Vienna; Colin Davidson
Culture: 1. Bernardine Evaristo; 2. Alexander Litvinenko; 3. David Cameron; 4. Ipswich; 5. Tulip; 6. Cressida Cowell; 7. Norwich; 8. James Joyce; 9. Bulgaria; 10. End of the Rainbow; 11. Stephen Sexton 12.The Chain; 13. Susan Boyle; 14. Geraldine Hughes
Film: 1. Avengers: Endgame; 2. James Earl Jones; 3. Pokémon Detective Pikachu; 4. Spider-Man: Far From Home; 5. Toy Story 4; 6. The Fast and the Furious; 7. A Star Is Born; 8. Joaquin Phoenix; 9. It Chapter Two; 10. Martin Scorsese. 11. Owen McCafferty.
Lucky dip: 1. Sainsbury’s; 2. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall; 3. Ed Sheeran; 4. Justin Trudeau; 5. Tess Daly & Claudia Winkleman; 6. 50p coin; 7. Dilyn; 8. Virgil van Dijk; 9. Debenhams; 10. (£115m - £114,969,775)
Music: 1. Only Fools and Horses; 2. Shawn Mendes; 3. Elton John; 4. Hugh Jackman; 5. Dave; 6. Stormzy; 7. The Netherlands; 8. Ed Sheeran; 9. The BBC Symphony Orchestra; 10. Lewis Capaldi; 11. Reworked; 12. Reworked.
News: 1. A new Lord Mayor had to be installed after his predecessor failed to compete a full term; 2. Carla Lockhart for David Simpson, John Finucane for Nigel Dodds, Colum Eastwood for Elisha McCallion, Stephen Farry for Lady Sylvia Hermon and Claire Hanna for Emma Little-Pengelly; 3. Republic of Ireland, and their “aggressive” targeting of tourists; 4. Build a bridge from NI to Scotland; 5. Unsuccessfully ran for Chief Constable; 6. Notre-Dame Cathedral; 7. May; 8. Jeremy Hunt; 9. Amazon rainforest wildfires; 10. Thomas Cook.
RIP: 1. It Ain’t Half Hot Mum; 2. Gordon Banks; 3. The Prodigy; 4. Grumpy Cat; 5. Judith Kerr; 6. Gloria Vanderbilt; 7. Blade Runner; 8. Toni Morrison; 9. September; 10. Cream; 11. Alfie Linehan; 12. Ciaran Carson; 13. Can’t Cope Won’t Cope; 14. Sam McCready.
Science & technology: 1. Dragon; 2. Sonic the Hedgehog; 3. Racing yacht; 4. 11; 5. The 737 MAX; 6. They completed the first all-female spacewalk; 7. Huawei; 8. Jeff Bezos; 9. Botswana; 10. Google; 11. Neil Armstrong.
Sport: 1. Dina Asher-Smith; 2. USA; 3. French Open; 4. New Zealand; 5. Royal Portrush; 6. Tottenham Hotspur; 7. Liverpool; 8. A ‘V’ shape; 9. Judd Trump; 10. Kenyan; 11. Glasgow Warriors; 12. Stoke City; 13. Tommy Fleetwood; 14. Donegal
TV: 1. Jodie Comer; 2. It was melted; 3. Danny Dyer; 4. Amber Gill and Greg O’Shea; 5. Suranne Jones; 6. Colin Thackery; 7. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex; 8. Line of Duty; 9. Priest; 10. David Atherto; 11. Siobhan McSweeney; 12. Co Down; 13. Marcella