Roast potatoes and creamed Brussel sprouts - make them perfect with our chef's video
The simple yet perfect recipe for Xmas classics - roast potatoes and sprouts - brought to you by the Belfast Cookery School.
Check out the full recipes below and watch our step-by-step video guides.
Maris Piper Potatoes
1) Par boil in salt water for 10 mins. Toss in colander to fluff and slightly break
2) Spread Fat in bottom of roasting tray and single layer potatoes and season
3) Cook for 30 mins in preheated oven at 190 C or until golden
4)Remove from oven and lightly press potatoes with a masher to flatten
5) Combine oil, rosemary, thyme, sage and garlic and spread over potatoes. Return to oven removing before the herbs burn.
Creamed Brussel Sprouts
500g sprouts, trimmed and crossed
6 rashers smoked streaky bacon chopped
200ml double cream
2 cloves garlic grated
Sprig of thyme
1 Bay Leaf
1) Cook Sprouts in boiling salted water for 5-10 minutes, drain and refresh in iced water. Drain again when cooked
2) Place bacon in medium pan and cook until browned
3) In separate pan add cream and garlic and bring to the boil with the sprig of thyme and bay leaf
4) Add sprouts to the pan with bacon until they start to colour then stir in the cream
5) Season and serve with fresh thyme
Christmas Red Cabbage:
1 Red cabbage (outer leaves removed)
2 Red onions, finely sliced
1 Orange, zest and juice
1 Cinnamon stick
2 Star Anise
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
1) Cut cabbage into 4 and cut out the core, then finely slice
2) Heat the butter in a large pan and add the onions. Cook until soft (5 mins). Add orange zest, cinnamon stick, star anise, and cook for a further minute. Add cabbage and pour over port, orange juice, balsamic vinegar. Bring to the boil and reduce heat. Replace lid and simmer until the cabbage is tender for approximately 45 mins- hour.
Belfast Telegraph Digital