Tuck in to true taste of summer - how to make an Elizabeth sponge cake
Elizabeth sponge cake
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
For the sponge:
- 6 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
For the filling and topping:
- 600g icing sugar
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g white chocolate cake covering (or white chocolate), melted
- 275g fresh ripe strawberries, washed, hulled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp fresh mint, chopped
- 3 large fresh strawberries, washed
- 75g white chocolate cake covering (or white chocolate), melted
- 50g dark chocolate cake covering (or dark chocolate), melted
- 150g mixed berries, washed
- 2 tsp icing sugar, for dusting
- 1 tsp gold sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease and line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with baking paper. In a large bowl, beat all sponge ingredients together with a wooden spoon until light and smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the filling, beat the icing sugar and butter together with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Beat in the 150g melted white chocolate cake covering.
- Starting at a slow speed, beat 100g of the chopped strawberries into the butter mixture, with the vanilla paste. When all the ingredients are mixed together, increase the speed until the mixture is smooth, fluffy and a gorgeous pink colour.
- Combine the remaining 175g chopped strawberries with the mint. Put one of the sponges on a cake stand or plate, securing it with a little filling underneath. Using a piping bag, pipe large bulbs of the mixture around the edge of the cake, then fill with the strawberries and mint.
- Top with the second sponge and pipe the rest of the mixture in bulbs around the edge. Chill for up to 1 hour.
- To decorate, dip three large strawberries into the 75g melted white chocolate and leave to set. Spoon the dark chocolate into a piping bag and pipe over the white chocolate covered strawberries. Put these in the centre of the cake with the other berries. Dust with icing sugar and gold lustre to finish.
For more recipes, visit sainsburys.co.uk/recipes