Make-up masterclass: Top tips for creating captivating eyes
Paddy McGurgan is one of NI's best-known beauty experts and each week he'll tell you all you need to know about the latest make-up techniques and trends
Behind every great eye make-up look is an even better eyeshadow primer. In recent years this has become a massive must-have for consumers and one I am glad to see. It is so important to prime the eyelids before applying eyeshadow as it will allow your shadow to stay put for longer and also deepen the pigment and colour of the eyeshadow.
Here are my all-time favourite eye shadow primers to create your show-stopping eye make-up look.
Lighter than air
I was first introduced to Helen E Cosmetics Stage Eye Shadow Primer (£10) when the queen of glamour Stacey Marie from MUA Store came to Make Up Pro Store, and she adores using this primer. So, of course, I ran straight out and bought this. I was pleasantly surprised with how full coverage this was on the lid, but was relatively lightweight on the skin so did not feel heavy on the eye.
P.Louise Academy Base Shade 2 (Rumour) (£10) is amazing - I am totally in love with this product. When applied, the base places so smoothly on the eye. Not only that, but it can be used on a range of clients, including those with more mature skin, as it is so lightweight on the eye.
But my favourite thing about this wonder product is that it does not need to be set as it dries matte and eyeshadows sit beautifully onto the skin when applied. Keep an eye on social media for a special Make Up Pro Store x P Louise Academy Collab!
The skin-coloured Make Up Studio Eye Primer (£17.50) is the ideal base for eyeshadow. It takes away the red and dark tones of the eyelids, creating an even base for eyeshadow.
This product prevents creasing of eyeshadow and contains vitamin E. It acts as a adhesive for your eye make-up to stay onto.
Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base (£20) provides the best backdrop to the main stage of your eyes that you can get in 8g. Never worry about smudging, caking or cracking - even the most stubborn shadows stay put with this polymer blend.
Prepare a perfect canvas for your eyes with just a simple swipe of the wand. Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base takes your favourite colours up a notch without requiring multiple coats of product. The special formula grabs hold of your colour for hours of consistent wear.
Locked and loaded
Prep your eyelid for smoother, longer-lasting and crease-proof eyeshadow with e.l.f. Shadow Lock Primer (£3).
The lightweight liquid formula quickly absorbs into the skin for comfortable wear and increases eye colour longevity.
5 tips for smudge-proof shadow
1. Use your finger or brush when applying to the lid, whichever you feel most comfortable doing. I personally like using my finger, as the bodies natural body temperature will allow the product to sit even smoother on the skin.
2. Apply in light layers to achieve a natural finish.
3. If you are a lover of neutral toned eyeshadow, then opt for a primer that is the right colour for your skin.
4. If you are using an eyecream in your make-up routine, make sure that this is well absorbed onto the eye area, before you apply your eye primer, as this will affect the finish of your eyeshadow.
5. After you apply your eye primer, allow it to set in place for 10-15 seconds before starting your eye make-up. This will allow the primer to set in place and be the perfect base for your eye make-up.