Bubble & Squeak with Bacon & Halloumi
Bubble & squeak makes a perfect brunch for Boxing Day – using up vegetables from Christmas Dinner. Topped with crispy bacon and chargrilled Halloumi cheese, it tastes terrific.
Boxing Day Bubble & Squeak with Bacon & Halloumi
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 450g cold mashed potato
- 400g leftover vegetables, chopped (such as carrot, leek and cabbage)
- 50g Lurpak Slightly Salted Butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 75g plain flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g Halloumi cheese
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 thick-cut smoky bacon rashers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley sprigs, to garnish
- Mix together the mashed potato and vegetables. Add half the melted Lurpak Slightly Salted Butter. Season with salt and pepper, then form the mixture into 4 large or 8 small patties.
- Beat the egg with 1 tbsp cold water in a shallow dish. Put the flour into a second dish and season with salt and pepper. Dip the patties in the beaten egg, then coat in flour.
- Heat the remaining butter with the vegetable oil in a frying pan. Fry the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- At the same time, heat a char-grill pan or the grill. Char-grill or grill the Halloumi until lightly browned, along with the tomatoes. Grill or fry the bacon until crispy.
- Top the bubble & squeak with the bacon and Halloumi and serve with the cherry tomatoes, garnished with parsley sprigs.
Make the bubble & squeak patties and freeze them (uncooked) to serve another day.
Belfast Telegraph Digital