Picnic On A Stick: Spicy Chicken/Halloumi Skewers with Fruity Couscous from the Little Pink Kitchen
Depart from a picnic of soggy sandwiches with these delicious, lightly spiced chicken or halloumi skewers.
Packed with flavour and colourful fresh vegetables, served with a fruity and filling cous cous, they’re the perfect meal to eat on the go during a family day out.
Spicy Chicken/Halloumi Skewers
- Chicken breasts/block of halloumi cheese
- 2 peppers
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp Harissa powder or paste
- Olive oil
- Wooden skewers
- 250g couscous
- Flat leaf Parsley
- Dried apricots
- If using wooden kebab sticks, soak them in water to ensure they do not burn during cooking.
- Chop chicken/halloumi, peppers and red onion into large chunks, and the red onion into wedges.
- Mix all together in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of Harissa powder or paste, a tablespoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place in fridge for as long as possible (at least an hour) to marinade .
- Assemble your kebabs with the marinated chicken/haloumi, onion and peppers.
- Place kebabs in oven at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Put 250g of couscous in a bowl and cover with boiling water, with an extra centimetre of water on top.
- Roughly chop a handful each of flat leaf parsley, coriander and dried apricots.
- When couscous has soaked up all the water fluff up with a fork, then add herbs and apricots.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lime and half a tsp of salt, mixing thoroughly.
- Serve up with your spicy skewers.
Belfast Telegraph Digital