Belfast Telegraph

Can I get my chidlren back?

Fiona Caine is here to help if you have a relationship, sexual, marriage or family problem.

My husband and I separated three years ago after he beat me. He has custody of our three children because I had nowhere to go when I left.

He was always all right when he didn’t drink and he only ever touched me when he’d had a few pints. I still love him very much and I miss my children dreadfully.

I now have my own place and work full time. Is it too late to get the children back? LS


You need to decide, first of all, if you want your family back, or just your children.

It seems to me that you are still hoping that your husband will change. If this is the case you will have to talk to him about his drinking and see if he is willing to discuss counselling.

If, however, it is just your children you want back, then you should talk to a solicitor.

Relate could help you to sort out your feelings about your husband and help you to learn to cope on your own, if that's the way it has to be.

Having found the courage to break away from an abusive partner, do not go back unless you are sure things have changed.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph