Belfast Telegraph

Could I be pregnant?

Fiona Caine is here to help if you have a relationship, sexual, marriage or family problem.

My boyfriend and I have been together for six months and at a party recently, we had sex without protection. I’m 17, and he is 18.

I’d spoken to my parents about sex and they said it should be my choice as long as I was sure, and I should tell him to use contraception.

Now I’m really worried that I’m pregnant or may have a sexually transmitted disease and I don’t think I can tell my parents. CW


If you think there is a chance you've got an infection, contact the sexually transmitted diseases clinic at your local hospital.

You don't need to be referred by your GP, and you don't even need to use your own name if you don't want to.

Explain the circumstances and they will give you a check-up — and ask them to check you for pregnancy as well or buy a home test kit.

Once you know the results, you will be able to research the options available to you, so it's in your best interests to do this as soon as possible.

In future, you and your boyfriend should be more careful as using a condom is one of the best ways of preventing a sexually transmitted disease, so listen to your parents' advice.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph