| 13.1°C Belfast

I don’t know how I’ll cope since split with my husband

My husband left me several months ago with a mass of unpaid bills and a big mortgage to pay.

He left no forwarding address and I understand he has gone to live with a girl that he has been seeing behind my back for the past two years.

I’m so angry that I never want to see him again, but I can't make ends meet.

With two small children to care for, I don't suppose I will ever have a social life again.

I suppose I will just have to accept the fact that I am now a single parent and adjust my expectations accordingly.

I could really do with somewhere to turn for support and advice though, as one friend said I may not be liable for all the bills. SK


Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Contact all the creditors and tell them that your husband has left you and has provided no forwarding address.

You should not be liable for his debts — although some creditors may try to make you pay for things.

Your mortgage company also needs to know and you need legal advice to ensure you can keep your home.

The best place for your to turn is Gingerbread (gingerbread.org.uk), where you can find all sorts of support and advice.

There are expert advisers who answer their helpline, tel: 0808 802 0925, and the website is full of information which you should find very useful, including factsheets on money matters and getting legal advice.

I'm sure they can help you to sort things out. If you join one of their local groups, you might give your social life a boost too.

Top Videos