Belfast Telegraph

I want a grandparent figure for my kids

Fiona Caine is here to help if you have a relationship, sexual, marriage or family problem.

I am a single mum with three children and because all my family members live far away, my kids have no grandparent figures to relate to.

I grew up with wonderful grandparents, so I know what my children are missing out on.

Is there any way we could ‘adopt’ a grandparent figure for our little family? NB


One solution could be to volunteer with an organisation for older people.

Contact the Elderly (, for example, needs volunteers to host tea parties for six or so guests.

The commitment is to host the party a couple of times a year but your home would have to be accessible, with a downstairs toilet for a start.

The emphasis is on helping isolated, elderly people, so any relationship with your children would be a bonus.

But do be sure you and your children are prepared to accept the responsibilities involved.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph