There's nothing like gold, silver and bronze to make a home feel fabulously festive.
Glittery golds, sparkling silvers and classy coppers are bang on trend for December. With Christmas just around the corner, they're the stylish colours of the festive season, stepping away from gaudy reds and greens. Magical metallics can dance around the room when offset by twinkling fairy lights, but it's also a look that lasts well into the New Year.
"Perfect for giving your decor an immediate style upgrade, metallic accents will inject a sophisticated touch, as well as introducing both warmth and texture," Katie Watson, interior designer at Fishpools comments, oozing with festive charm. "From copper, brass and gold to chrome and nickel, there's a glimmering array of gilded finishes to choose from - and just as many ways to style them."
"Of all the precious metals, gold is undoubtedly the most glam," says Alicia Kaper, head of curation at Joss & Main. "Warm and luxurious, a few gleaming gold accents can instantly refresh an interior, adding that all-important oomph to a tired scheme.
"The trick with gold is not to overdo it - integrating just a few precious finds will help you stay on the chic side of the trend. A statement rug, accent table or look-at-me mirror will have lasting impact, while anyone looking to dip their toes in this precious metal should start with candleholders and votives, for just a hint of glam."
FESTIVE FIX "To set a warm colour palette, try gold and brown," advises Laura Comfort, Christmas buyer at Wyevale Garden Centres. "Glass compote jars and candy dishes look great filled with small pine cones, topped with rich gold and deep brown ornaments."
GET THE LOOK Laura Ashley's rather large Gold Sparkle Reindeer (pictured above), £22.40 (currently reduced from £32), would look gorgeous by the fireplace (lauraashley.com).
- LSA Garbo Champagne Saucers, £38 for a set of two, Heal's, are perfect for Christmas Day (heals.co.uk).
- A decadent lamp, offset by Barbara Hulanicki's Funky Flora Regal Wallpaper, £55 a roll, Graham & Brown, proves gold's not just for Christmas (grahambrown.com).
- Deck the halls with bargain baubles: Glass Tree Bauble, £4; Dreamscape Glass Baubles, £15 for pack of nine; Gold and Pink Glitter Drop Assortment, £1; Gold and Silver Satin Spun Bauble Assortment, £1; Gold Tip White Feather Wreath, £12; Jewel Snowflake Decoration, £3; Gold Bird Decoration, £2, all from larger Sainsbury's stores.
- A Christmas tree always looks classy with an accent of gold: Dreamscape Glass Baubles, £15 for pack of nine; Gold and Pink Glitter Drop Assortment, £1; Gold and Silver Satin Spun Bauble Assortment, £1; Jewel Snowflake Decoration, £3; Gold Bird Decoration, £2; Porcelain Snowflake Decoration, £4; Padded Heart Jewel Decoration, £4; Gold and Silver Reindeer Decoration Assortment, £1 and Jewel Snowflake Tree Topper, £5, all from larger Sainsbury's stores.
"Cool and crisp, silver has a fresh and timeless finish, which makes it a sophisticated choice for the home," says Kaper. "Paired with blues and whites, this precious metal is a shimmering snow queen, while in the summer, it partners beautifully with pinks, mauves and greens, adding freshness to more vibrant tones. Look out for silver mirrors and lamps, which can really open up a dark or narrow space, bouncing light into the room.
"Nickel, chrome, aluminium and stainless steel have similar reflective qualities, bringing a polished sparkle to any home."
FESTIVE FIX "Don't restrict magnificent baubles and sparkly snowflakes to the tree," advises Comfort. "Accentuate overhead lighting with a fresh winter palette of shimmery silver and pale blue decorations, gently dangling from the chandelier on elegant silver satin ribbon."
GET THE LOOK Silver Christmas Tree T-light Holder With Bells, £14.95, DotComGiftShop, sets a festive scene (dotcomgiftshop.com).
- Clarissa Hulse's Briar Silk Cushion, £55, taps into the silver trend without restricting itself to Christmas (clarissahulse.com).
- Make metallics last all year with this eye-catching Fai Mirror (pictured above), £200.95, Joss & Main (jossandmain.co.uk).
- Make your mantelpiece the star of the show: Let It Snow Felt Letters Bunting, (pictured left) £8.40; Stag Snowglobe, £17.50 (currently reduced from £25); Christmas Pomander Glitter Pillar Candle, £11.20 (currently reduced from £16); Selection of Christmas Decorations, from £4.90 each (currently reduced from £7); Set of 3 Scented Plaster Decorations, £9.80 (currently reduced from £14) and Pack of 5 Handmade Winter Stag Christmas Cards, £4.90 (currently reduced from £7), all Laura Ashley (lauraashley.com).
"Copper is a bold but sophisticated metallic, suitable to use in all rooms of the house," says Sainsbury's head of home design, Emma Mann. "Its burnished glow brings the perfect accent to a range of colour schemes. For a chic, relaxed look, coppers and oranges look beautiful with crisp whites, or for a richer look, team with darker golds, reds or deep indigo.
"For Christmas, copper complements forest green and berry reds for a rustic look, but it also looks stunning among other warm metallics, like gold and pewter, for ultimate glamour."
FESTIVE FIX "Adorning a mantel by adding earthy bronze accents to a foliage-rich, pine cone garland will elevate a traditional scheme," suggests Comfort. "The metallic colour will elegantly pop against the wood and natural green tones. Then, fill garden glass cloches with vintage bronze ornaments and display it on the mantel among the lush greenery, or create a chic indoor/outdoor decoration by adding copper and gold embellishments to a standard evergreen wreath."
GET THE LOOK If you needed any proof that copper couldn't look classier year-round, this is it (pictured above): Cyprum Tara Single-hole Mixer Tap, made using 18-carat gold and copper, £769, Dornbracht (dornbracht.com).
- Bring on the Christmas dinner and make a toast with Copper Wine Glasses (pictured above), £7 each, oliverbonas.com
- Make the light twinkle with a Pols Potten Facet Tealight Holder, £12, Heal's (heals.co.uk).
- Copper accents make for a contemporary room scheme, especially when offset by Classic Poplar Wood Shutters, painted in Dulux's Niagra Blues Custom Colour Paint, from £177 per metre, California Shutters (californiashutters.co.uk).
- Light the night with Albus Twisted Table Lamp in Black/Copper (pictured left), £40, John Lewis (johnlewis.com).