Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Arsonist jailed for attack on ex-partner's car and home

By Ashleigh McDonald

A north Belfast man who forced his ex-partner and two children to flee their home after setting her car and house on fire in an early-morning arson attack was given a three-year sentence yesterday.

Steven Colhoun (45) was also handed a five-year restraining order to keep him away from his former partner of 24 years.

During sentencing at Belfast Crown Court, Judge David McFarland said that while he accepted Colhoun's intention was just to set the car on fire, the father-of-two "must have known there was going to be a significant fire" which then spread to the house.

Colhoun, from Glandor Avenue, was charged with two counts of arson on April 23 this year, and of harassing his ex-partner over a three-month period from January to April, 2018.

He was also charged with drink driving on April 23, and admitted all the offences.

The court heard that in the hours prior to the arson attack, Colhoun had gone to his ex's home in the Skegoneill area of Belfast where a confrontation took place.

Colhoun left but, after consuming alcohol and cocaine, he returned in the early hours of the following morning when all the lights were off. He poured petrol over his ex-partner's car which he then set alight.

The blaze quickly spread to the house, which forced the woman and her two children, aged 15 and seven, to flee. The Fire Service was called, and Colhoun was arrested at the scene.

Judge McFarland noted that it was fortunate the fire didn't spread to the property's gas supply, which he said would have led to "catastrophic damage and physical injuries".

Other residents had to evacuate their homes while the blaze was dealt with. The damage to the property is estimated to be in the region of £130,000, while the car was destroyed.

Colhoun's former partner and two children have not yet been able to return home and are currently living in temporary accommodation.

Defence barrister Jonathan Browne pointed out that as soon as he was arrested, Colhoun made full and frank admissions, co-operated with police and expressed immediate remorse.

Ordering Colhoun to serve half his sentence in custody and half on licence, Judge McFarland told him: "Clearly this was extremely reckless conduct on your part."

Noting this was Colhoun's fifth offence for drink driving, the judge banned him from driving for three years.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph