| 11.1°C Belfast

Boy (13) is charged with murder in Dublin of schoolgirl Ana (14)


Ana Kriegel’s body was found in a derelict house

Ana Kriegel’s body was found in a derelict house

Ana Kriegel’s body was found in a derelict house

A 13-year-old boy has been remanded in custody after being charged with the murder of schoolgirl Ana Kriegel in Dublin.

The boy, who cannot be identified because of his age, was accompanied to the special sitting of Dublin Children's Court by his parents and grandfather.

He was charged with the murder of Ana (14) on May 14 at Glenwood House, Clonee Road, Lucan, Dublin.

It is alleged that he murdered the schoolgirl, who lived in the Newtown Park estate, Leixlip, Co Kildare, on the day she was reported missing by her parents.

Three days later, on May 17, after a massive search operation, her body was found at the derelict property where the murder is alleged to have occurred.

The boy spoke only briefly during the in-camera hearing that lasted less than 10 minutes. His mother sat beside him and his father sat beside the defence counsel, while the boy's grandfather sat behind them.

When asked by Judge John O'Connor if this was his first time in court, the accused nodded and replied: "Yeah."

Det Insp Mark O'Neill said that the youth made no reply when the charge of murder was put to him.

Wearing a black jumper, blue jeans and black runners, the youth had a slight limp as he walked into court.

Judge O'Connor warned that he wanted to make it clear that if the boy's name, school or address was revealed, or if a picture of him was reproduced, it would result in a prosecution.

He said he was aware the journalists present understood, and added: "I am doing this from the point of view of general social media."

Legal aid was granted after the judge noted from defence counsel Donagh Molloy that the boy was "a schoolchild, 13 years of age".

Because it was the boy's first court appearance, he could not be remanded in custody for longer than a week.

Judge O'Connor asked his solicitor if an order for medical attention was required.

The boy was then remanded in custody and escorted from the courtroom.

A second juvenile, who was arrested on Thursday morning in relation to the investigation, was released without charge yesterday.

A file will be prepared for the DPP in his case.

Belfast Telegraph