Belfast Telegraph

Home News Courts

Belfast gun victim 'took machete to festival', court told

By Alan Erwin

A man shot at a north Belfast festival allegedly returned to the scene armed with a machete, the High Court has heard.

Prosecutors claimed members of the public had to disarm John Paul Magennis (31) when he went back to last month's Ardoyne Fleadh brandishing the blade.

Magennis, of Oldpark Road in the city, told police he had been in shock and believed it was a golf club.

He faces a charge of possessing an offensive weapon in a public place.

Crown lawyer Kate McKay said Magennis was shot in the leg while attending the Fleadh on August 25.

But instead of seeking medical attention, he allegedly went home and then returned to the festival carrying a machete.

According to Mrs McKay, some people managed to intervene and took the weapon from Magennis.

Granting bail, Judge Patrick Kinney ordered Magennis to abide by a curfew and alcohol ban.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph