Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Female officer hit by concrete block is out of hospital

A police officer knocked unconscious during rioting in the Ardoyne last week has been released from hospital.

The female officer who was identified in public only as ‘Samantha’ was struck on the head with part of a concrete block dropped from the roof of a shop at the Ardoyne interface on the Twelfth night.

Her father later gave interviews criticising the PSNI’s tactics during the rioting and argued that those involved in attacking police officers including his daughter should have been pursued and arrested on the night.

The PSNI has indicated that it knows the identity of the rioter who dropped the breeze block on the female officer but he has not been arrested as yet.

A male officer shot during rioting in North Queen Street on the Twelfth morning remains in hospital, the PSNI said in a statement yesterday.

A total of 83 officers were injured during the three nights of public disorder in the Ardoyne but the majority did not require hospital treatment.

In their statement to the Belfast Telegraph the PSNI said: “A small number of officers remain absent from work, however an exact figure is not available. The majority do not have serious injuries, however one male officer shot during the disorder at North Queen Street on the morning of Monday, July 12 remains in hospital in a stable condition and a female officer injured by a coping stone has been released from hospital.”

Meanwhile, an 18-year-old man charged over rioting in south Belfast has been banned from being out late at night.

A curfew was imposed on Daniel McGeown as part of conditions under which he was released on bail.

McGeown, of Hatfield Street in the city, is accused of riotous behaviour and throwing a petrol bomb at police. The charges relate to street disorder in the Ormeau Road area on July 12.

McGeown, the latest in a number of suspects to appear before Belfast Magistrates' Court in connection with trouble across the city, spoke only to confirm he understood the allegations against him. A police constable said he could connect him with the alleged offences.

The court was told McGeown handed himself in at a PSNI station on Tuesday.

Bail was initially opposed due to concerns over a suitable address for the accused. But a defence solicitor stressed that McGeown lived with his mother at her Hatfield Street home.

Granting bail, District Judge Fiona Bagnall imposed a curfew from 8pm to 7am.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph