| 12.3°C Belfast

Coronavirus Northern Ireland: Indoor weddings to resume from July 10

  • NI death toll remains at 554

Close

Indoor weddings can resume from July 10

Indoor weddings can resume from July 10

It has emerged that Bobby Storey’s funeral service at Roselawn Cemetery in east Belfast last Tuesday was the only one of nine that day where 30 people were allowed to attend an outdoor service on site (Liam McBurney/PA)

It has emerged that Bobby Storey’s funeral service at Roselawn Cemetery in east Belfast last Tuesday was the only one of nine that day where 30 people were allowed to attend an outdoor service on site (Liam McBurney/PA)

A crowd listens to former Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams speak during the funeral of senior Irish Republican and former leading IRA figure Bobby Storey at Milltown Cemetery in west Belfast.

A crowd listens to former Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams speak during the funeral of senior Irish Republican and former leading IRA figure Bobby Storey at Milltown Cemetery in west Belfast.

Sean Lawlor and colleagues from the Cambridge Barbers on the Lisburn Road, Belfast cutting clients hair at the south Belfast barber shop shortly after midnight. Credit: Kelvin Boyes/Press Eye

Sean Lawlor and colleagues from the Cambridge Barbers on the Lisburn Road, Belfast cutting clients hair at the south Belfast barber shop shortly after midnight. Credit: Kelvin Boyes/Press Eye

Photo by Kelvin Boyes / Press Ey

Indoor weddings can resume from July 10

Indoor weddings, civil partnerships and baptisms will be allowed to resume from Friday July 10, the Executive has announced.

The decision was reached at a meeting of the Executive on Monday.

Indoor marriages will be allowed to resume in places of worship, local government offices and other venues from that date.

In a statement the Executive said that private venues will make their own decisions on when to resume weddings, and it will be up for them to decide if they wish to host post-wedding celebrations.

The number of people allowed to attending weddings will be decided by the venues on a "risk-assessed basis", taking account of the individual circumstances and public health guidance.

"Couples contacting registrars and officiants to rearrange their marriages should be aware that there is a backlog of couples waiting but every effort will be made to accommodate everyone as soon as possible," an Executive statement said.

The announcement comes after the Department of Health confirmed that had been no further coronavirus-related deaths in Northern Ireland since Friday.

Daily figures are no longer published on Saturday or Sunday, with a figures for the weekend instead published the following Monday.

With no fatalities reported from 10am on Friday to 10am on Monday, Northern Ireland's death toll stands at 554.

Meanwhile, Belfast City Council has apologised over its handling of the funeral of IRA veteran Bobby Storey.

The council said this was an "error of judgment" and an exception was made for the loved ones of Bobby Storey "for operational reasons".

Council officials have apologised to the other families affected.

Were you affected by Belfast City Council's arrangements? Contact us at newseditor@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Here's how Monday unfolded:

Belfast Telegraph