The founders of one of the best-known walking tours of the Troubles are responding to the Covid-19 pandemic by running a virtual experience that is already attracting visitors from around the world.
DC Tours is also ramping up marketing of its online tour to colleges, schools and study groups - as current lockdown and travel ban has temporarily shuttered its in-person business.
The company is not only targeting those interested in modern Irish history, but also psychology, English language and political geography, among others, said Mark Wylie, who co-founded the company seven years ago.
In response to the coronavirus shutdown, DC Tours developed the just over two-hour online experience that includes a tour and a question and answer session with travel guide, Paul 'Donzo' Donnelly, also a founder of the company.
It has been running now for two weeks with tours on Saturday and Sunday evenings. The tour has attracted visitors from the UK, Ireland and the US, which reflects the demographics of the 'in person' walks, Mr Wylie said, adding that those that supported the company through crowd funding in recent weeks were invited to join.
The shutdown has focused the minds of those in the company to think differently, and they are now sending messages out to schools and universities, including those the company had a relationship with previously, the company founder said.
"It is a fantastic opportunity for the education market, schools, universities, study tours," said Mr Wylie. "The idea was there beforehand...but (we) did not realise the opportunity."
The company recognises that the virus will have a long-term effect, even when the lockdown is eased considerably. It may be not possible to host walking tours with 20 to 25 people for some time, the DC Tours owner said.
"From the start of the crisis we have been determined to find a way to keep the company going while keeping our guests and guides safe," said Mr Wylie, who added that the company is grateful for the crowdfunding support from guests who "wanted us to get through this because they loved the tour so much.
"They gave us the vital support we needed to re-imagine the business and create something completely new and unique to Belfast," said Mr Wylie.
"That support allowed us to spend some time thinking about the sort of experience of Belfast we might be able to offer people in the current climate," he added.
"And so we did our research and created a brand new 'virtual tour' where guests who can't make it to Belfast this year can still learn about our city's history from a local.
"The result is 'The History of the Troubles' which launched a few weeks ago and is already proving to be a big hit, with its first dates selling out within hours."
On post shut-down, Mr Wylie said: "Even if we can only run smaller tours, we still believe there is a good local audience - people who want to find out more about their own history, or those with children who are studying the conflict as part of their history or politics curriculum."