Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Jade Goody christened in final public act

Cancer-stricken reality TV star Jade Goody and her two children were christened today in a "very short and emotional service", her publicist said.

Max Clifford said the "very pale and fragile" Goody was in a wheelchair and assisted by nurses during the service with her sons Bobby, five, and Freddy, four, at the Royal Marsden Hospital in west London.

He said it was the last thing that Goody would do publicly and added that she had a "smile and a kiss for everyone who was there".

Goody, 27, who has only weeks to live, was diagnosed with cervical cancer in August last year.

She had wanted the ceremony to take place in a church, but she was transferred to the Royal Marsden Hospital after a bowel operation and has been heavily sedated, sleeping much of the time.

Her husband Jack Tweed, mother Jackiey Budden and her sons' father Jeff Brazier were among about 20 close friends and family at the private service today.

Goody has been determined to raise as much money as possible through media deals, which will go to her sons.

Mr Clifford said he believed the reality TV star was saying goodbye to some people for the final time following the ceremony.

He said: "It was in my mind that she was saying a final goodbye to some people."

He added: "Jade was obviously very happy with the whole thing; Jeff was there on one side, Jack was there on the other side, and it was a very short and emotional service.

"I think everybody knew just how important it was to Jade."

Mr Clifford said Goody had been christened in her hospital gown with her drip still attached.

The service was carried out by hospital chaplain Chris Lee and Corinne Brixton, vicar of St John's church in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, near Goody's home.

He said photographs taken of the service would be published in OK! magazine at a later date.

He said Jade's ill health did not stop her enjoying the service.

He said: "She finds it very hard to stay awake for more than a few minutes but she stayed awake for the 20 minutes of the service.

"It was a very positive atmosphere, after each of the boys were christened everyone clapped and after Jade was christened everyone clapped again.

"It was a very simple service. There were prayers and blessings and a few short readings."

Mr Clifford said Goody was in no doubt that she wanted photographs to be taken of the event and published.

He said: "Obviously the money from this will go to her boys and that is what she's always wanted."

He said he thought it unlikely she would leave the hospital.

He said: "Speaking for myself, I'm no medical expert but I doubt she will leave. This is the best place for her; last week she was in a great deal of pain and nobody wants her to be like that again."

He said for several of the people at the ceremony it could well be the last time they saw the star.

Mr Clifford said: "Sometimes when people are very, very ill they need to focus on something and it keeps them going."

He said it was unclear how long Goody would survive.

He said: "It's not something you can predict. Everyone is different."

Mr Clifford said he thought the christening was the last publicised event of Goody's short life.

He said: "The most important thing is the quality of life she has left.

"I hope the boys get a chance to see her again. It's the first time they've seen her this weak. The two things she said to me were she wanted to get married and have the christening and she has done them both and done them her own way, with style."

He said Goody had sat in a chair for most of the service before being put back into a wheelchair at the end by nurses.

She kissed the hands of friends and family as she was wheeled out of the ceremony.

Mr Clifford said the planned television interview with Piers Morgan would probably not now take place.

Mr Brazier left the hospital shortly after 1pm carrying both his sons.

He refused to comment and climbed into a taxi and was driven away.

After the ceremony, some of Goody's family and friends, including her husband and grandfather, went to a nearby pub.

Her grandfather, John Caddock, said the service had been beautiful.

He said: "It was very special."

Goody's family and friends, including her grandparents, husband Jack Tweed and her mum Jackiey, left the pub in a succession of taxis after about an hour.

They refused to comment as they were driven away.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph