Belfast Telegraph

Hyde Park IRA bomb victim's brother vows to pursue civil action 36 years after atrocity

By Staff Reporter

A man whose brother was killed in the IRA's Hyde Park bomb said yesterday that he "wasn't surprised" convicted terrorist John Downey missed a deadline to settle a civil action brought by victims' families.

Mark Tipper, whose brother Simon (19) was one of four soldiers killed in the bombing that took place in London on July 20, 1982, was speaking as the 36th anniversary of the atrocity was marked yesterday.

Mr Downey - who has always protested his innocence - stood trial for the attack in 2014 in a criminal case that collapsed when it emerged he'd been in receipt of a letter of comfort stating that he had not been wanted by any UK police force since 2007. It was later determined the letter had been sent to him in error. As part of an ongoing civil case, Mr Downey was given the opportunity to pay £40,000 to a veterans' charity, as well as apologise for his alleged role in the atrocity - which also claimed the lives of Anthony Daly (23), Jeffrey Young (19) and Roy Bright (36) and saw a further 31 people injured - or face a private civil prosecution.

The offer expired on Thursday and Mr Tipper said proceedings against Mr Downey were now under way. "I wasn't holding my breath. I wasn't expecting anything from him," he said.

He added he would continue pursuing justice in his brother's memory. "Simon would do the same for me," he said.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph