Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Lough Erne drowning victim Lee Rogers had recently become a dad

By Linda Stewart

The 20-year-old man who drowned in Lough Erne on Friday had become a father in recent months.

Lee Rogers from Enniskillen was described by his family as a lovable rogue who lived fast.

His body, retrieved from Lough Erne after a lengthy search, was brought home to his family in Fermanagh last night.

He had gone missing after the boat he was in with his friends capsized close to Portora Boat Club in Enniskillen at about 6.30pm on Friday. His five companions made it to shore.

Relatives of Mr Rogers were at the scene on Friday as a massive of Lough Erne search was launched.

Two RNLI lifeboats, the North West Mountain Rescue team, the Sligo Coastguard helicopter, police helicopter and a police boat were involved in the lough operation, while fire officers searched on land. However, the search had to be called off when it grew dark.

Mr Rogers’ body was found the next morning when the search resumed. His uncle, Ted Maye, said Lee was father to a six-month-old baby girl and described him as a “lovable rogue” who had recently taken up weightlifting.

“He was no saint. He was a bit of a boy,” he said. “Everybody knew him. But he was a big softie.”

It is understood that Mr Rogers was not wearing a life jacket when the aluminium boat sank.

The emergency services had been notified about the incident just after 6pm on Friday by someone who saw the boat in trouble.

Mr Rogers had been due to appear in the magistrates court today to face a charge of criminal damage to an electronic monitoring tag he had been wearing, the Sunday World reported. In October he was jailed for 10 months after threatening to blow up a police officer. He had been charged with assaulting an officer, damaging a police car and disorderly behaviour.

His solicitor said he had had a very complex and challenging upbringing, compounded by Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and was determined to address his alcohol and drug addictions for the sake of his child.

Meanwhile, a fisherman has been rescued clinging to a lobster pot off the coast of Co Donegal yesterday after a farmer heard his calls for help. The man was about half a mile from shore when farmer John Grant, who was looking after his sheep at Tullagh Bay on the Inishowen Peninsula, heard cries. He saw the man clinging to a floating object and alerted his own mother, who contacted the coastguard. The man was picked up by another fishing boat before the rescue crews arrived.

A Lough Swilly Lifeboat spokesman for said: “Thanks to those people on the shore, that man will probably be walking around today.”

The man is now stable in Altnagelvin Hospital.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph