| 6.1°C Belfast

Man choked to death in Northern Ireland restaurant

The family of a man who died suddenly after choking while eating dinner in a Co Down restaurant have said they have been left stunned by his death.



Wesley Megaw (41) from Knockview Gardens, Rathfriland, died last week after a piece of food became lodged in his throat.

Mr Megaw had been dining at The Coach restaurant in Banbridge when what his family has described as a “tragic accident” happened.

It is understood he had been eating a steak when he stood up and began to struggle for air.

He later died at the scene.

His brother Edwin said the family are still in shock at what happened.

“It’s believed a piece of steak got stuck in his throat,” he told the Irish News.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

“It has been a big shock to us all. It was all very sudden, a tragic accident. We still can’t believe it has happened.”

About 100 mourners gathered on Monday for a funeral service for Mr Megaw in Rathfriland Elim Church.

A burial followed at Drumlough.

Edwin Megaw said his family had also been visiting their mother who had recently been ill in hospital.

“He had been running up and down to the hospital to visit our mother who has been very ill for the past three weeks,” he said.

“So he decided to relax and went out for a meal with a friend. They went to the Downshire first and then ended up going to the Coach.”

Pastor Roy Graham said the sudden death of Mr Megaw—who would have turned 42 next Monday—had devastated his family.

When contacted today no-one from the Coach Restaurant was available for comment.


Top Videos



Privacy