| 13.5°C Belfast

Man saves pensioner from Magherafelt blaze

Close

Passer-by saved pensioner from blazing house in Co Londonderry

Passer-by saved pensioner from blazing house in Co Londonderry

Passer-by saved pensioner from blazing house in Co Londonderry

A man has saved a pensioner from a house fire in County Londonderry.

The fire broke out in the home of a 70-year-old woman in Magherafelt.

The pensioner was saved by the passer-by who broke down the front door of the King Street property.

The woman and her rescuer were taken to the Mid Ulster Hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation. Both were said to be in a stable condition.

The fire is understood to have started accidentally in a first floor bedroom and the property was well alight by the time crews arrived. No smoke alarm was fitted.

PA