Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Manchester United hotel bombed in Jakarta attacks which kill nine people

Manchester United's Far East tour was disrupted today when bombs exploded at two luxury hotels in an upmarket business district in Indonesia's capital Jakarta.

The blasts at the neighbouring Ritz-Carlton and Marriott hotels killed nine and wounded at least 50, Indonesian officials said.

The Foreign Office said it had no indication of any British casualties.

The Ritz-Carlton was the hotel United were supposed to be staying in tomorrow night after leaving the first game of their four-match tour in Kuala Lumpur.

It is now uncertain whether the entire tour will go ahead and it is thought unlikely United will travel to Indonesia as planned on|Saturday night.

The team could remain in Malaysia for a few extra days or travel to Seoul for what should have been the third leg of their trip on Friday. United chief executive David Gill is expected to make the final decision.

The explosions blew out windows and scattered debris and glass across the street.

South Jakarta police Colonel Firman Bundi earlier said that four of the dead were foreigners.

At the Metropolitan Medical Centre, a list was posted with the names of people wounded. An official at the registration office said 11 were foreigners.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We've got no indications that there are any Britons involved.

“We've got staff still checking and we're seeking access to the scene and going to the hospitals to check.”

Witnesses at the scene told Indonesian Metro TV that the injured were seen being taken away in ambulances.

Although there have been no terrorist problems in the country for a number of years and presidential elections passed off peacefully recently, the Marriott Hotel was badly damaged by a car bomb attack in 2003 that killed 12 people.

That coincided with a period when Islamist militants from the Jemaah Islamiyah organisation were blamed for numerous attacks, including bombings on the island of Bali in 2002 that killed 202 people.

Many militants have since been arrested.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph