Man’s home attacked nine times in 18 months
A North Belfast community worker whose house was targeted in an arson attack this week has told how his family have suffered a sustained campaign of intimidation and terror.
Gerard O’Reilly returned to his Spamount Street home on Monday night to find his property had been damaged after a petrol bomb was thrown at it.
Mr O’Reilly, whose wife Bridie and two children were in the house at the time, said this is the latest in a long line of attacks which he believes is linked to his community work.
“This is the ninth time we have been attacked since October 2008, and that doesn’t even include the smaller things that have happened that we haven’t bothered reporting to police,” Mr O’Reilly said.
“We’ve had everything from an incident where 14 of our windows were smashed in, to flowers with death notices left at our door.”
Meanwhile police are investigating a possible link between the incident at Mr O’Reilly’s home and an arson attack minutes later at Carlisle Parade.
A 20-year-old woman was treated in hospital for smoke inhalation after a sofa was set alight at a ground floor flat in the building.