Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Motorist ‘tried to run down officer’

A motorist tried to run down a police officer days after he allegedly attempted to knock over his ex-partner, the High Court has heard.

Nine officers were needed to restrain Ruairi Reid when he was finally detained following a pursuit which involved crashing through metal gates in a bid to escape, prosecutors said.

The 30-year-old, from Bann Road, Rasharkin, Co Antrim, faces two separate charges of attempted murder.

He is also accused of aggravated assault on a female, attempted grievous bodily harm with intent, five counts of assault on police, dangerous driving and driving while unfit through drink or drugs. The offences were alleged to have occurred on February 1 and 6.

Reid, an unemployed labourer, was refused bail due to the risk of re-offending.

Nicola Auret, prosecuting, told the court police were first alerted when his ex-partner phoned 999 in a distressed state, claiming he had just tried to run her down in his car. She was said to have suffered cuts and swelling.

Reid, who claimed to have been the one assaulted, was initially granted bail.

But the court heard he was arrested again on February 6 after a motorist accelerated straight at a police check-point in Kilrea.

Ms Auret said: “As this was happening the police officer raised his weapon, made to fire and shouted an armed warning as he believed he was about to be struck.

“The vehicle did not deviate and when it was only a couple of metres away the officer dived out of the way to avoid being struck.”

Police gave chase, with the car crashing through gate and only stopping when it hit a concrete post. The driver exited and lashed out at pursuing officers before being detained and taken to Coleraine station where attempts to bite, kick and head-butt continued, it was alleged.

But refusing bail, Mr Justice Hart said Reid was at an age where he should be able to control his drinking better.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph