Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Norovirus bug hits guests at hotel

Health chiefs have launched an investigation after a suspected outbreak of the norovirus bug at a top hotel which left almost 40 people unwell.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said 24 guests and 14 members of staff at the Hilton Hotel in Glasgow city centre developed a sudden onset of diarrhoea and vomiting, thought to be caused by the bug.

Two guests were admitted to Gartnavel General Hospital in Glasgow on Sunday, where they were in a stable condition and said to be responding well to treatment.

The staff with symptoms are remaining at home until they feel well, while seven symptomatic guests have been asked to stay in their rooms at the five-star hotel in a bid to limit any potential spread of the illness.

The remaining 15 guests who had symptoms are now well and have returned home.

Public health specialists and Glasgow City Council environmental health officers assessed the situation and put in place a broad range of measures alongside Hilton's own health and safety procedures to contain the illness.

The hotel remains operational apart from the swimming pool which is undergoing extra sanitisation as a precautionary measure and is expected to open on Monday.

Dr Anne Scoular, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde public health consultant and chair of the outbreak control team, said: "The clinical presentation of these guests and staff is very suggestive of Norovirus infection.

"Norovirus infection is a common viral illness present throughout the community and can spread rapidly in areas with a high concentration of people such as hotels, cruise ships, hospitals and schools.

The first patient became unwell on July 14 and the others have become unwell over the past few days. The hotel put in places measures such as a programme of extensive cleaning using anti-viral agents in a variety of areas to limit the spread of the illness.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph