Belfast Telegraph

30 youths take part in organised fighting in north Belfast for second night

By Michael Sheils McNamee

Around 30 youths have caused disruption in a second night of violence in north Belfast.

SDLP councillor Paul McCusker was at the scene in the Upper Ardoyne area on Tuesday night, and told the Belfast Telegraph he had received calls from more than 10 of his constituents about disturbances in the area.

Violence in the area flared worse on Monday evening, when it is estimated between 60 and 80 youths took part.

Young people from the Twaddell Avenue, Upper Ardoyne and Ballysillen areas congregated to take part in the fighting, which it is understood was arranged through social media.

"Young people who arrange fights I believe are not aware of the dangers and both communities don’t deserve this," said Mr McCusker.

He added that nationalist and unionist representatives from the area had agreed to arrange an urgent meeting with police.

Writing in Twitter on Tuesday night, PUP councillor Julie Anne Corr Johnston said: "PSNI & community workers are responding to what appears to be another arranged fight in the Upper Ardoyne area. Tensions are high but the consequences even greater. An appeal to every parent, guardian or adult of influence - check in with your young people tonight. Where are they?"

Earlier on Tuesday evening, a PSNI spokesperson said it had received multiple reports of organised fights in the Deerpark area in the north of the city on Monday night and extra officers had been proactively patrolling the area.

They said a camera-mounted landrover would be in the area on Tuesday. 

"Police would again ask parents to make sure you know where your kids are in the evenings. Too many kids have been taken home drunk much to the shock of their parents who thought they were at friends houses," the spokesperson said.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph