'£90,000 bill' to repair Belfast Shankill homes destroyed by bonfire
Some of the Belfast Shankill homes destroyed by an Eleventh Night bonfire cost taxpayers £90,000 to repair, it has been reported.
Five homes on Hopewell Square were damaged when the fire spread to the row of terraced properties.
Four of those were owned by the Housing Executive, of which three were gutted and the fourth smoke damaged.
Among those forced from their home was 73-year-old Lily Turtle.
Lily and two-year-old grandaughter Skyla were asleep in an upstairs bedroom when the house caught fire.
An online fundraising campaign was set up to help those affected and Lord Mayor Brian kingston promised a review to prevent a re-occurrence.
Belfast Telegraph Digital