Belfast Telegraph

Alert from leading doctor over Christmas gift dangers

By Lesley-Anne McKeown

A leading children's doctor has warned of the dangers posed by Christmas presents and decorations.

Julie-Ann Maney, a consultant paediatrician in Belfast and member of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, urged parents to be more aware of choking hazards and poisoning.

She said: "Young children are particularly inquisitive and love to put things in their mouths, noses and ears.

"Many Christmas decorations can be a choking hazard and new toys can come with small pieces that are easy to swallow, so try and ensure any new gifts are suitable for your child's age and decorations that might pose a threat are out of reach.

"Winter berries are also enticing to children thanks to similarities to shiny round sweets. Some berries can be poisonous, including those found on mistletoe, so do supervise young children."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph