Belfast Telegraph

Anguish as asthma attack victim laid to rest

Girlfriend in tearful tribute to Tiernan (20) during service

By Brett Campbell

The devastated family of a "remarkable" young man who died suddenly on Tuesday after suffering an asthma attack have thanked the hundreds of mourners who gathered at St Patrick's Church in Derrymacash for his funeral yesterday afternoon.

Fr John Byrne told grieving relatives and friends of Tiernan Green who had packed into the pews: "We are shocked as individuals and visibly shaken as a community. We can't understand it.

"We have so many questions and no satisfactory explanations. We are suspended in grief. Today is very hard to accept for his family and there are no words to comfort them."

Fr Byrne described Tiernan as "a remarkable guy" who was also a "quiet guy by nature, but when he was around his mates he would let himself go and they would see that he loved life". Mourners were told that the former Southern Regional College student had "a great amount of time for his family" and that he will be remembered for his love for his girlfriend Lauren.

The pair, who were born within three days of each other and began dating at the age of 15, were described as "inseparable" and "destined to be together".

Speaking during the service, Lauren wept as she told the congregation: "When I first met Tiernan I knew he was going to be very special for me and it turned out that I was right. He has been the love of my life. There are no words to describe how I feel."

More than 20 friends formed a guard of honour outside the church as Tiernan's body was taken to the adjoining churchyard for burial.

Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph after the Requiem Mass, a family member said: "We are thankful for the hundreds of people who turned out for the service, and to Tiernan's friends who gave a guard of honour at the house and escorted the cortege all the way to the church.

"We would like to express our thanks to everyone who came, donated food at the house, and to the paramedics and the medical staff at Craigavon Area Hospital."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph