Belfast Telegraph

Bangor man attacked pregnant girlfriend, court told

A Northern Ireland man allegedly attacked his pregnant girlfriend in the stomach and said he was going to "kick it out of her", the High Court heard today.

Prosecutors claimed the 39-year-old defendant launched the assault in an alleyway in Bangor, Co Down, after the woman had decided to have an abortion.

She also feared that she would be raped at one stage during the incident on Saturday, March 30, a judge was told.

The man, who is not being named for legal reasons, faces charges of attempted child destruction, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, threats to kill and sexual assault.

He is also accused of three counts of assault on police and disorderly behaviour.

Bail was refused due to the risk of re-offending.

The court heard the woman is up to 15 weeks pregnant with his child, but decided not to have the baby because she feared it would link him to her forever.

With arrangements made to travel to England for a termination, she met the man to explain her reasons, according to the prosecution.

It was claimed that he verbally abusive at a bar in Bangor, prompting her to throw a drink over him and leave.

He allegedly followed her to an alleyway off Holborn Avenue, pushed her against a wall, undid the button on her jeans and said: "I'm going to f*** you."

A Crown lawyer said: "She thought he was going to rape her and pleaded with him to stop."

It was claimed that after the woman fell to the ground during a struggle she was repeatedly kicked about her legs, arms and head.

A further alleged blow was inflicted to her stomach as she put her arms up to protect herself.

"He said that he was going to kick it out of her; she said she was terrified," counsel continued.

The woman sustained bruising to her body and a bald patch where a clump of hair had been pulled out.

An independent witness told police she saw a man punched and kicking the woman.

Following his arrested, the court was told the defendant allegedly spat at police and shouted verbal abuse, calling officers "Fenian b*******".

During interviews he denied either threatening to kill the woman over the phone or pulling her hair out.

He described feeling humiliated when she threw a drink over him in the bar and arguing with her outside, but insisted no physical or sexual assault took place.

Referring to the man's explanation for her bruising, the prosecutor submitted: "He said she liked rough sex and probably got the injuries when she was with some other guy last night."

Aarpn Thompson, defending, accepted the allegations against his client were "extremely grave".

The barrister added: "He accepts he was in an argument; it's a reckless piece of behaviour and it's a troubling piece of behaviour."

Judge Stephen Fowler QC was told the accused has suffered a breakdown in his life and attempted self-harm.

Despite denying bail , he granted a one-day release from custody for a medical appointment aimed at securing mental health treatment.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph