Belfast Telegraph

Bangor pier charge teen found unconscious under motorway bridge - judge refuses bail

Cora Campbell appeared at Newtownards Magistrates Court on Monday after she was found unconscious under the M3 bridge.
Cora Campbell appeared at Newtownards Magistrates Court on Monday after she was found unconscious under the M3 bridge.

By Paul Higgins

A teenager accused of involvement in the “vicious assault” on Bangor pier was remanded into custody after a judge said the “only way to protect her” from killing herself with drugs was to refuse her bail.

Refusing to release 18-year-old Cora Campbell at Newtownards Magistrates' Court on Monday after hearing how she was found unconscious under the M3 bridge, District Judge Mark Hamill said he had to “act in her interests".

“There’s no way in the world that I will grant bail because these drugs are going to kill her and the only way to protect her is to refuse bail,” declared the judge.

Campbell, with an address at English Street in Downpatrick, is one of three teenagers accused of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to a teenager in an attack on April 20 which was recorded and spread across social media resulting in millions of views.

A 16-year-old girl and a 17-year-old boy have also been charged.

Previous courts have heard claims that the victim was “lured” to the pier where she was allegedly attacked by Campbell and her co-accused, the two landing numerous kicks and punches.

At one stage the victim had alcohol poured in her face and a male recording the footage can be heard encouraging the two to continue the attack.

In court on Monday, a police officer recounted how paramedics were called to an unconscious female under the M3 bridge on December 22.

A male who was with her told the paramedics she had taken heroin and lyrica and when they managed to revive her, Campbell admitted she had taken the drug Lyrica.

As part of her bail conditions, Campbell was barred from taking or abusing both illegal drugs and prescription medication and the officer told the court police feared for the teenager’s safety if she was freed again.

Defence solicitor Andrea Reid said she had instructions to apply for bail, submitting the teenager could be freed to live with her mother in Newcastle which would remove her from negative peer influences in Belfast.

Judge Hamill said the most recent breach was “anticipated and tragically predictable” and told the lawyer in no uncertain terms, “do not ask me again for bail - I’m not going to give her any more chances because she’s going to kill herself".

Campbell is due to appear again on January 4.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph