Bangor teen attack video: Accused barred from pier scene
A 16-year-old girl accused of taking part in a sustained attack on another girl which was then filmed and then posted online is banned from going near the scene, a High Court judge ordered today.
Mr Justice McCloskey prohibited her from entering Bangor, Co Down as part of strict conditions under which she was granted bail.
She is charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent at the seaside town's marina on April 20.
Two other defendants, Cora Campbell, 18, of English Street in Downpatrick, and a 17-year-old boy, are accused of the same offence.
The alleged victim, aged 16, was repeatedly punched, kicked and had her head banged off the ground after being deliberately lured to the scene, according to the prosecution.
She was also held down and had alcohol poured over her face, leaving her fearing she was choking, the court heard.
Footage of the incident was later shared on Facebook.
Police claim the 16-year-old accused, who cannot be identified, arranged for the girl to come to Bangor pier, where Campbell was the lead assailant.
During interviews the pair were said to have made admissions about their involvement but denied either the gravity or intent to injure.
Defence lawyers argued it had been a fight where the injured party came off worst.
It was also revealed in court that the teenage defendants are under potential paramilitary threat if they return to Bangor.
With Campbell granted bail last week to live at an address in Belfast, lawyers for the 16-year-old accused resumed their bid to secure her release from custody.
Mr Justice McCloskey was told she is currently in care and yet to fully comply with unrelated court orders.
Describing the situation as "lamentable", the judge emphasised that bail was being granted on the most stringent terms.
He set a one-week deadline for the girl to write letters of apology and bake a cake for staff at a children's home - terms imposed under the previous youth conference orders.
As well as covering Bangor, the exclusion zone includes other areas covered by the potential threat.
The girl was curfewed, forbidden from accessing social media, using mobile phones and any contact with the alleged victim or co-accused.
Before rising Mr Justice McCloskey indicated she was fortunate to be getting bail.
He warned: "(She) has displayed disgraceful disregard for previous court orders. That will now stop.
"If it doesn't, and if her preference is to remain on the slippery slope of breaching court orders and thumbing her nose at society generally, she will be a very sorry young lady."
Belfast Telegraph Digital