Belfast Telegraph

Bangor woman and cat rescued from ledge during house fire

By Stewart Robson

A woman had to be rescued from the ledge of her bedroom window as a fire ripped through a house in Bangor.

Fire crews were called to the scene on Dufferin Avenue after the alarm was raised at 9.20am yesterday.

The woman, who was evacuated along with her cat, was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene before being taken to hospital.

Two other people were treated at the scene.

Noelle Robinson, an independent councillor for the area, said: "I was in the town not too far away from the incident at the time.

"I was at a meeting when a lot of shock started coming through on social media because of such a heavy presence of emergency services."

A resident of Dufferin Avenue described the scene as they looked out from a window at the back of their home.

"I'm not sure when the fire started," they said.

"It took me a while to realise anything was wrong.

"I smelt this acrid smoke and when I looked out the back window I actually thought it was just a really foggy day, but when I ran to the front door I saw all of the commotion.

"I got dressed and ran out just as the Fire and Rescue Service were helping the lady out of the top window.

"They were very professional, organised and efficient."

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service issued a statement afterwards highlighting the importance of fire alarms in homes.

It said: "A sounding smoke alarm alerted the occupants to the fire.

"We would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone about the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

"Smoke alarms alert you to the earliest stage of a fire, giving you vital extra time to escape.

"Fit a smoke alarm on every floor of your home and test it once a week to ensure it is working."

The cause of the blaze is thought to have been accidental.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph