BBC pay: Stephen Nolan in top 10 earners, Chris Evans highest on £2m
The BBC has revealed the pay of its top earning stars.
The corporation has published the long-awaited list of those stars it pays over £150,000 as part of its Royal Charter.
<<< Read the full list here >>>
The figures have revealed that Stephen Nolan makes more than £400,000, while Radio 2's Chris Evans is the top earner pulling in more than £2 million. Mr Nolan is the highest paid on air talent earner within the regional organisation, and joint 9th highest paid overall.
The organisation has revealed a list of its top earners broken down by £50,000 increments. Chris Evans is followed by Gary Lineker, on between £1.75m and £1.8m, and Graham Norton, on between £850,000 and £899,999 - making the organisations top three earners men. Claudia Winkleman is the highest paid woman on £450,000 to £499,999.
The top 10 list:
1. Chris Evans on £2.2m to £2.25m
2. Gary Lineker on £1.75m to £1.8m
3. Graham Norton on £850,000 to £899,999
4. Jeremy Vine on £700,000 to £749,999
5. John Humphrys on £600,000 to £649,999
6. Huw Edwards on £550,000 - £599,999
7. Steve Wright on £500,000 to £549,999
8. (joint) Claudia Winkleman on £450,000 to £499,999
8. (joint) Matt Baker on £450,000 to £499,999
9. (joint) Nicky Campbell on £400,000 to £449,999
9. (joint) Andrew Marr on £400,000 to £449,999
9. (joint) Stephen Nolan on £400,000 to £449,999
9. (joint) Alan Shearer on £400,000 to £449,999
9. (joint) Alex Jones on £400,000 to £449,000
10. Fiona Bruce on £350,000 to £399,999
A total of 96 people have been named on the list, a third of which are women.
It is the first time the information has been made public. The BBC has expressed fears that the revelations will spark pay claims among staff and also reveal to other broadcasters what it pays saying the list could become a "poachers' charter" leading to a bidding war.
"This will be an interesting day," said Stephen Nolan on opening his Radio Ulster show on Wednesday morning.
- BBC pay: Stephen Nolan expected to be among top earners - 'This will be interesting,' says Radio Ulster host
The salaries of senior management is already published. The head of BBC Northern Ireland, Peter Johnston is paid £153,000 a year.
"Where did I put my tin helmet?" Lineker tweeted.
Belfast Telegraph Digital