Belfast Telegraph

‘Beaten’ baby was like a car crash victim, court told

A fracture to a baby girl's skull allegedly inflicted by her father was comparable to a car crash injury, the High Court has heard.

Prosecutors also disclosed that the 23-year-old accused had been out all night and drinking before the alleged assault at a house in west Belfast.

The suspect, who cannot be named to protect the child's identity, claims his daughter was injured accidentally last month.

He denies a charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He had been granted bail but was returned to custody for breaching an alcohol ban imposed as part of his conditions.

Opposing his application to be released again, Crown counsel Conor Maguire said the skull |fracture happened during a 20-minute period on the morning of November 3.

The child's mother claimed she left her daughter and partner together on a bed while she went out of the house. When she returned she discovered the baby had severe bruising and black eyes, according to the prosecution.

Following his arrest the man told police he left his daughter to get a fry and that when he returned her bottle had fallen on her face. He later said he accidentally knocked her head against a wall while going upstairs.

But Mr Maguire said a meeting was convened at the Royal Victoria Hospital, involving police, |social services and medical staff.

An opinion was reached that the injuries could not have been sustained in the way described by the accused, the court was told.

Mr Maguire added that an accidental cause was unlikely, with the exception of a vehicle collision.

The suspect was previously granted bail to live with his parents and younger brother and sister in the west of the city. He was returned to custody after being found to have taken alcohol in contravention to court directions.

Michael Boyd, defending, stressed that the accused had not turned up drunk at his partner's home on the morning of the alleged assault.

After hearing from the accused's father, Lord Justice Higgins decided that he could be granted bail again, with conditions including a night-time curfew, for “one further chance”.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph