Belfast boy stabbed mum, court is told
A schoolboy has appeared in a Belfast court accused of trying to stab his mother to death.
The 14-year-old suspect faces charges of attempted murder and possession of an offensive weapon — a knife — with intent to commit murder.
He was charged by police following an alleged stabbing incident at a house he shared with his mother in north Belfast on June 17.
The boy — who cannot be identified because of his age — was accompanied to yesterday’s appearance before the city’s Youth Court by his father.
Dressed in a hooded top and jeans, he spoke only to confirm that he understood the allegations against him.
A detective constable from the PSNI said that he could connect the accused to the charges.
The court was told that medical reports, photographs and phone records that are expected to form part of the investigation are still outstanding.
No details were given in court of the alleged incident, or of the woman's injuries.
However, it is understood that the charges relate to an incident in the Shore Road area last month when a woman was rushed to hospital by ambulance following a 999 call.
At the time the PSNI disclosed: “Police have charged a 14-year-old male youth with attempted murder.
“He is due to appear at Belfast Magistrates Court on Wednesday, July 11.”
And a spokesman for the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service confirmed that it received two calls for assistance on Sunday, June 17, the first being at 3.14am.
A crew arrived to treat the victim at 3.21am and, after receiving treatment by paramedics, the woman was admitted to the Royal Victoria Hospital at 3.47am.
District Judge George Conner agreed to an eight-week adjournment to allow further progress in the case.
The boy was granted continuing bail to live with his father on conditions which are understood to include having no contact with his mother.
Listing the case for a further mention on September 5, Mr Conner told him: “You will be excused from attending.”